Fourier transform of cos x the answer involves δ functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fourier transform of cos(x), with one party providing a correct solution using the definition of the delta function and the other party struggling to understand how the correct solution was obtained. The correct definition of the delta function is clarified and it is shown how it is used in the Fourier transform. The conversation ends with the questioner thanking Xaos for their explanation.
Koldstream

Homework Statement

This is an example provided by my lecturer in his notes. He puts practically zero working in.

When i work the problem through i do not get the same answer as he does.

In this section i have copied the exact text from the problem:

Find the Fourier transform of cos(x). Your answer will include delta functions

We shall use the definition [tex]\delta(k)=\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \ e^{ikx}[/tex]

and

[tex]\delta(k)=\delta(-k)[/tex]

he then simply writes:

[tex]Fourier[cos(x)]=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \ e^{-ikx}\ \frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\left[\delta(k-1)+\delta(k+1)\right][/tex]

As you can imagine this makes me very irritated so I start to solve it myself

Homework Equations

[tex]Fourier[f(x)]=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \ e^{-ikx}\ f(x)[/tex]

[tex]\delta(k)=\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \ e^{ikx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So i work it through line by line:

[tex]Fourier[cos(x)]=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \ e^{-ikx}\ \frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]Fourier[cos(x)]=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \ e^{-ikx}\left(\ e^{ix}+e^{-ix}\right)[/tex]

[tex]Fourier[cos(x)]=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \ e^{-ikx+ix}+e^{-ikx-ix}[/tex]

[tex]Fourier[cos(x)]=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \ e^{ix(-k+1)}+e^{ix(-k-1)}[/tex]

[tex]Fourier[cos(x)]=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \ e^{ix(-k+1)}+\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2\pi}}\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \e^{ix(-k-1)}[/tex]

now recognise

[tex]\delta(k)=\int\limits_\infty^\infty dx \ e^{ikx}[/tex]

can be used. However the definition for the Fourier transform shows that the constant should be:

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}[/tex]

therefore we need a constant such that [tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2\pi}}*x=\frac{1}{2\pi}[/tex]

this implies x = [tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex]

this leads to:

[tex]Fourier[cos(x)]=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2\pi}}x\frac{2}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\ \delta(-k+1)+\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2\pi}}x\frac{2}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\ \delta(-k-1)[/tex]

[tex]Fourier[cos(x)]=\frac{1}{2\pi}\ \delta(-k+1)+\frac{1}{2\pi}}\ \delta(-k-1)[/tex]

then recognise [tex]\delta(k)=\delta(-k)[/tex]

[tex]Fourier[cos(x)]=\frac{1}{2\pi}\ \delta(k-1)+\frac{1}{2\pi}}\ \delta(k+1)[/tex]

This is of course not:

[tex]
Fourier[cos(x)]=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\left[\delta(k-1)+\delta(k+1)\right]
[/tex]

The constant is incorrect.

I am certain that he is correct and that I am wrong.

Why have I got it wrong?

Thanks very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have time to look at your work, now, other than to notice that infinity is both the lower and upper limit of integration for all your integrals. I'll try to take a closer look later today.

it looks at first like if your definition of dirac delta were true, then the coefficients would remain unaltered simply by direct substitution. please clarify why I'm seeing this incorrectly, since my Fourier analysis isn't very good.

you remain unstated what the actual definition of the Fourier transform that says that the coefficient must be 1/2pi.

presumably, if there is no normalizing factor, then you just multiply and divide by 2pi/2pi and the 1/2pi goes into the evaluating the integral with the remaining 2pi/1 as a coefficient. this with the original coefficient should give you sqrt(pi/2), right?

I think the definition of the delta function should be

[tex]\delta(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ikx}\,dx[/tex]

With the Fourier transform, you have different conventions for where the constants go, but I don't think you have that with the delta function. That factor in the front needs to be there.

EDIT:

The Fourier transform of the delta function is:

[tex]F[\delta(x)] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x)e^{-ikx}\,dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex]

so its inverse is

[tex]\delta(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} F[\delta(x)]e^{ikx}\,dk = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ikx}\,dk[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies everyone :)

vela said:
I think the definition of the delta function should be

[tex]\delta(x)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{ikx}\,dx[/tex]

With the Fourier transform, you have different conventions for where the constants go, but I don't think you have that with the delta function. That factor in the front needs to be there.

EDIT:

The Fourier transform of the delta function is:

[tex]F[\delta(x)] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x)e^{-ikx}\,dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex]

so its inverse is

[tex]\delta(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} F[\delta(x)]e^{ikx}\,dk = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ikx}\,dk[/tex]

You are correct that is the definition of the delta function sorry about that.

I still don't understand how he gets that though.

@Xaos: I'm sorry I'm not sure i understand you :(

sorry i don't know latex so well.

if delta=1/2pi*int(exp(ikx))
then int(exp(ikx))=2pi/2pi*int(exp(ikx))=2pi*delta.

but if you have 1/2sqrt(2pi)*int(exp(ikx)), then
1/2sqrt(2pi)*int(exp(ikx))=1/2sqrt(2pi)*2pi/2pi*int(exp(ikx))=2pi/2sqrt(2pi)*delta
and this is = sqrt(pi/2)delta which is what you want.

Last edited:
xaos said:
sorry i don't know latex so well.

if delta=1/2pi*int(exp(ikx))
then int(exp(ikx))=2pi/2pi*int(exp(ikx))=2pi*delta.

but if you have 1/2sqrt(2pi)*int(exp(ikx)), then
1/2sqrt(2pi)*int(exp(ikx))=1/2sqrt(2pi)*2pi/2pi*int(exp(ikx))=2pi/2sqrt(2pi)*delta
and this is = sqrt(pi/2)delta which is what you want.

legendary. Thanks Xaos :)

1. What is a Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a function into its individual frequency components.

2. How does a Fourier transform work?

A Fourier transform works by breaking down a function into a sum of sine and cosine waves of different frequencies. This allows us to better understand the behavior of the function and analyze it in a different domain.

3. What is the purpose of using a Fourier transform on cos x?

The purpose of using a Fourier transform on cos x is to represent the function as a combination of different frequency components. This can be useful in signal processing and engineering applications.

4. What are δ functions and how are they involved in the Fourier transform of cos x?

δ functions, also known as Dirac delta functions, are mathematical functions that are used to model the behavior of point-like sources in a system. They are involved in the Fourier transform of cos x because they help us to represent the individual frequency components of the function.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Fourier transform of cos x?

Yes, the Fourier transform of cos x has many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, electrical engineering, and physics. It can be used to analyze and manipulate signals, as well as solving differential equations and studying the behavior of physical systems.