Does new monitor need new card?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Monitor
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a new monitor and possibly a new graphics card. The main concerns are finding a monitor with good graphic quality, high resolution, and compatible with the current graphics card. The conversation also suggests checking the outputs and resolution of the current graphics card to ensure compatibility with the new monitor. Ultimately, it is recommended to purchase an LCD monitor with a VGA connector and a desired size from a major brand.
jackmell
Hi. My monitor is failing and I'd like to upgrade to a nice-size flat screen, say 12x20 or so with good graphic quality. Will I need to buy a new graphics card for that? I believe I currently have a Radeon 9200 SE card. What about the video RAM on the card? How much would I need?

Thanks,

Jack

Computer science news on Phys.org
What are you going to do with the PC/monitor? Viewing web content, streaming videos, and playing games all have different requirements.

I don't do gaming but do watch videos and do graphics programming say in Mathematica.

Can you guys tell me what I have to know to go to Office Depot and come out with a nice monitor and maybe an upgrade to my graphics card so that when I get back home, I just lickedly-split pull out the card, hook-up the monitor and bingo-bango I got it as opposed to gettin' home and dang-it, this cable don't hook-up to that graphics card or one other umpt-teen incompatibility issue. I got history. :)

Find out if your card has VGA or DVI inputs. The 9200 came in an array of options.

Even better check what outputs your card have :smile:

Two things to check is whether the card works in the native resolution of your new monitor and if it can be easily connected (that is, if you can use a standard cable without adapters). If you were happy with your card up to now, and you answered yes twice, you don't need to change the card. In all other cases changing the card can be a reasonable idea.

Borek said:

haha yes, I meant output :)

I have a VGA output on the card I have now. So if I just keep the card, I guess all I need is a good monitor that supports VGA. Is that right?

I want a monitor with high resolution. Should I look for a monitor with some specific pixel density or another criteria I should use?

Borek said:

Two things to check is whether the card works in the native resolution of your new monitor and if it can be easily connected

How do I find out which modes my video card can operate in? Maybe control panel/display or something like that?

jackmell said:
I have a VGA output on the card I have now. So if I just keep the card, I guess all I need is a good monitor that supports VGA. Is that right?

I want a monitor with high resolution. Should I look for a monitor with some specific pixel density or another criteria I should use?

Honestly LCD monitors have been pretty well perfected for what your needs are. You'll likely be happy with nearly any model from a major brand. Just make sure it has VGA connector (most should) and the size you want. Buy and enjoy :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Just make sure it has VGA connector (most should) and the size you want. Buy and enjoy :)

Fantastic! I have the plan then. Thank you.

1. Does upgrading to a new monitor require a new graphics card?

It depends on the specifications of the new monitor and the capabilities of your current graphics card. If the new monitor has a higher resolution or refresh rate than your current one, you may need a more powerful graphics card to fully utilize its potential.

2. Can I use my existing graphics card with a new monitor?

As long as the graphics card has the necessary ports and supports the resolution and refresh rate of the new monitor, it should be compatible. However, it may not be able to display the full capabilities of the new monitor.

3. Will upgrading to a new graphics card improve the quality of my new monitor?

If your current graphics card is unable to support the full capabilities of the new monitor, upgrading to a more powerful graphics card may improve the overall quality of your display. However, if your current graphics card is already capable of handling the new monitor, there may not be a noticeable improvement.

4. How do I know if my graphics card is compatible with my new monitor?

You can check the specifications of both your graphics card and the new monitor to see if they are compatible. Look for the required resolution, refresh rate, and display ports to determine if they are a match. You can also consult the manufacturer's website for compatibility information.

5. Can I use multiple monitors with my current graphics card?

It depends on the capabilities of your graphics card. Some graphics cards support multiple monitors, while others may only have one display port. Check the specifications of your graphics card to see if it has the necessary ports and capabilities to support multiple monitors.