What happens with the resistance of a wire with twice the diameter

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of resistance in a wire with twice the diameter. While the initial thought is that the resistance would halve, the solution is actually a decrease to 0.5 ohms. This is because resistance depends on the cross-sectional area, which increases by a factor of four when the diameter is doubled. This means that the resistance decreases by a factor of four, resulting in the solution of 0.5 ohms. The conversation also explores the relationship between diameter and area, highlighting that the area of a circle is proportional to the square of its diameter.
koat
hi everybody

Question:
a length of uniform wire has a R of 2 ohms. calculate the R of a wire of the same metal and original length but twice the diameter.

I thought as the wire gets twice as thick the R must halve to 1ohms. But the solution is 0.5 ohms.
what did i do wrong?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you list for me the parameters that resistance depends upon? (Hint: it does not depend *directly* on the diameter.) Which one of these parameters is relevant here?

is it that the R decreases when the A increases?

Yes, cross-sectional area is one of the parameters on which resistance depends. (I had asked you to list all of the parameters, but this one is the relevant one here). So, what does changing the diameter do to the area? What does that resulting change in area do to the resistance?

is it that when you double the diameter you double the A?

as the area increases the R decrease

koat said:
is it that when you double the diameter you double the A?

This is false. What is the area of a circle in terms of its diameter (or radius)?

r ^2 times pi

koat said:
r ^2 times pi

Right. And since the diameter is just twice the radius, what this means is that the area depends on the SQUARE of the diameter. So, if you double the diameter, you don't double the area. If you double the diameter, the area increases by a factor of _____?

sorry i don't get what you mean with the A depends on the square of diameter.
can you show me an example with numbers please so that i can visualise this problem?

Alright look. Let's call the original diameter d1. Now:

[tex] A_1 = \pi r_1^2 [/tex]

But the radius is just half the diameter, so:

[tex] r_1 = d_1 / 2 [/tex]

Agreed? Therefore:

[tex] A_1 = \pi \left(\frac{d_1}{2}\right)^2 = \pi \frac{d_1^2}{4} [/tex]

This is how the area of a circle depends upon its diameter. As you can see, area is equal to a constant times the diameter squared.

Now, what happens if we change the diameter by doubling it? Let's call the new diameter d2 so that:

[tex] d_2 = 2d_1 [/tex]

We can plug this new diameter into the formula for the area in order to find the new area:

[tex] A_2 = \pi \frac{d_2^2}{4} = \pi \frac{(2d_1)^2}{4} = 4 \pi \frac{d_1^2}{4} = 4A_1 [/tex]

So we have the result that A2 = 4A1. After doubling the diameter, the new area is equal to FOUR times the original area. This is because the area of a circle is proportional to its diameter SQUARED. So if you double the diameter, you quadruple the area. If you triple the diameter, you increase the area by a factor of nine. If you quadruple the diameter, the area increases by a factor of 16. Now do you understand?

wow I'm impressed with that.
Yes I understand now. Thanks a lot for your answer :)

1. What is the relationship between the resistance of a wire and its diameter?

The resistance of a wire is inversely proportional to its diameter, meaning that as the diameter increases, the resistance decreases. This relationship is known as the "skin effect", where larger wires have less resistance because the current flows through a larger cross-sectional area.

2. How does doubling the diameter of a wire affect its resistance?

Doubling the diameter of a wire will result in halving its resistance. This is because the larger diameter provides a larger area for the current to flow through, reducing the resistance.

3. Is the resistance of a wire directly proportional to its diameter?

No, the resistance of a wire is inversely proportional to its diameter. This means that as the diameter increases, the resistance decreases at a constant rate.

4. Why does the resistance decrease when the diameter of a wire increases?

The resistance decreases when the diameter of a wire increases because the current is able to flow through a larger cross-sectional area, resulting in less obstruction and less resistance to the flow of electrons.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the resistance of a wire with twice the diameter?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the resistance of a wire with twice the diameter. These include the material of the wire, its length, and the temperature. All of these factors play a role in determining the resistance of a wire.