ANDREA: Plant-based Air Purifier

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary: Well, to be fair, in the context of the show it also brings death and misery to all who hold it... and you're a nice guy. So... eh.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is outrageous. $200.00 for a small plastic plant pot with a tiny fan. Doesn't even include the plant. Has no air filters, nothing.

Product Description
Andrea is a revolutionary new air purifier engineered to significantly improve the air filtration capacity of natural plants. This living filter accelerates the removal of harmful VOC's and toxins through the active infrastructure system of a plant to continuously clean and oxygenate the rooms ion your home or foccie. Andrea naturally purifies air by drawing it in with a whisper quiet fan to propel it through the leaves and root system of a plant, then out through the water and soil filtration and back into the room . Works with any household plant. Ozone free operation. No replaceable filters.
$200.00

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002P8NZ1Q/?tag=pfamazon01-20

WTH is a foccie? Is that a dyslexic office?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was under the impression plants weren't very efficient at this sort of thing?

The plant can only process a certain amount, sticking a fan in isn't going to make it magically process more CO2 and give you cleaner air.

jarednjames said:
I was under the impression plants weren't very efficient at this sort of thing?

The plant can only process a certain amount, sticking a fan in isn't going to make it magically process more CO2 and give you cleaner air.

That's not about just CO2. I recall reading that back in the times of the leaded petrol trees planted on the sides of the road were substantially slowing process of lead contamination of the surrounding terrain. No idea about exact mechanism. I guess that's the idea behind the device. But I agree with Evo, it sounds ridiculous.

Dang plant huggers, no wonder my computer fan cost a fortune. I shudder to think what it will cost to put a catalytic converter on my grill this summer.

Chronos said:
Dang plant huggers, no wonder my computer fan cost a fortune. I shudder to think what it will cost to put a catalytic converter on my grill this summer.
:rofl:

I can't believe more people haven't realized this is just a potted plant...without even the plant!

Borek said:
That's not about just CO2. I recall reading that back in the times of the leaded petrol trees planted on the sides of the road were substantially slowing process of lead contamination of the surrounding terrain. No idea about exact mechanism. I guess that's the idea behind the device. But I agree with Evo, it sounds ridiculous.

In the case of lead from petrol fumes, it settles into the soil where it can be taken up by fast-growing, "thirsty" trees. This is done however, using their extensive root system, not their leaves for the most part. So, you're right, and you're right!

Evo said:
:rofl:

I can't believe more people haven't realized this is just a potted plant...without even the plant!

Any time I find myself in that state of incredulity you seem to be experiencing (it stinks I know)... I say two words out loud, and EVERYTHING becomes clear... and calm.

Pet. Rock.

nismaratwork said:
Pet. Rock.
I'd rather have the rock than a house-plant in a $200 enclosure.

turbo-1 said:
I'd rather have the rock than a house-plant in a $200 enclosure.

Yeah, but the principle is shockingly similar. I mean, plants, AFAIK grow like weeds! :uhh: So you can just fill your place with the darned things!

Rocks are also readily available, and between some pots, fans, nail polish, glue, and googly eyes... you have the makings of a fortune based on fools.

After all, the time and effort needed to produce and market pet rock was absurdly low... here you DO have a valid place to plant something, and a fan. It's a stupid concept, but it actually DOES something given the chance.

A pet rock... my god, is there ANYTHING that just screams, "kill me, I'm tired and lonely... my only friend is Rocky Balboa II... kiiiilllll mmmmeeeeee..." :approve:

I'd prefer the rock, but for $200 I'd want it to be solid gold.

jarednjames said:
I'd prefer the rock, but for $200 I'd want it to be solid gold.

ad_ep006_21.jpg

Will this suffice? It's not exactly a ROCK however...

Hmm, gold coloured, glowing, inspires awe/fear in those who view it.

Yep, that would be just fine. I'll take two.

jarednjames said:
Hmm, gold coloured, glowing, inspires awe/fear in those who view it.

Yep, that would be just fine. I'll take two.

Well, to be fair, in the context of the show it also brings death and misery to all who hold it... and you're a nice guy. So... eh. :wink:

What is ANDREA: Plant-based Air Purifier?

ANDREA: Plant-based Air Purifier is a device that uses plants to filter and purify the air in a room. It works by drawing in air through the leaves and roots of the plant, where it is filtered and released back into the room.

How does ANDREA work?

ANDREA works by using a fan to draw air into the device, where it is then circulated through the roots and leaves of the plant. The plant's natural filtering process removes pollutants and releases clean air back into the room.

What types of pollutants can ANDREA filter?

ANDREA can filter a variety of pollutants, including formaldehyde, benzene, and other volatile organic compounds (VOCs) commonly found in indoor air. It can also filter dust, allergens, and other particulate matter.

Do I need to water the plant in ANDREA?

Yes, the plant in ANDREA will need to be watered regularly, just like any other houseplant. It is recommended to check the water level every few days and refill as needed.

How often do I need to replace the plant in ANDREA?

The plant in ANDREA should be replaced every 6-12 months, depending on the type of plant and the level of pollutants in the air. It is also important to regularly prune the plant to ensure optimal air purification.