ODE with integrating factor NEED HELP

In summary: Thanks.In summary, the conversation discussed finding the correct integrating factor for a given differential equation and checking the solution for correctness. The final solution was found to be u(x,y) = 4x^(3/2) + 2√x*y^2 = (10/3), with a check showing that it is indeed the original differential equation multiplied by the integrating factor. The use of TEX commands was also mentioned.
pat666

Homework Statement

[tex] (2x+y^2) dx +4xy dy=0,y(1)=1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble finding the correct integrating factor, been playing with it for an hour and have made NO progress so need help.

[tex] \delta P/\delta y=2y [/tex]
[tex] \delta Q/\delta x=4y [/tex]

so its not exact and I need to find an integrating factor.

[tex] R=1/Q( \delta P/\delta y-\delta Q/\delta)=-1/2x [/tex]
[tex] F(x)= exp \int R(x) dx [/tex]
[tex] \int -1/(2x) = -ln(abs(x))/2 [/tex]

This integrating factor isn't going to make my ode exact though and I can't figure out what I have stuffed up?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
pat666 said:

Homework Statement

[tex] (2x+y^2) dx +4xy dy=0,y(1)=1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble finding the correct integrating factor, been playing with it for an hour and have made NO progress so need help.

[tex] \delta P/\delta y=2y [/tex]
[tex] \delta Q/\delta x=4y [/tex]

so its not exact and I need to find an integrating factor.

[tex] R=1/Q( \delta P/\delta y-\delta Q/\delta)=-1/2x [/tex]
[tex] F(x)= exp \int R(x) dx [/tex]
[tex] \int -1/(2x) = -ln(abs(x))/2 [/tex]

This integrating factor isn't going to make my ode exact though and I can't figure out what I have stuffed up?

Thanks for any help.

Don't quit yet, you almost have it. Take x > 0 to dispense with the || signs:

[tex]R(x) = e^{\int-\frac 1{2x}dx}= e^{-\frac 1 2 \int\frac 1 x}\, dx
= e^{-\frac 1 2 \ln x} = e^{\ln(x^{-\frac 1 2})} = x^{-\frac 1 2}[/tex]

Also, a TeX note, you can use the partial symbol

[tex]\partial Q/\partial x[/tex]

but subscripts are even easier: Qx or [itex]Q_x[/itex].

Thanks LCKurtz I now have a general and particular solution, would you mind checking my results:
[tex] u(x,y)=4x^{3/2}+2*\sqrt(x)*y^2+y=c [/tex]
[tex] c=13/3 [/tex]
[tex] 13/3=4x^{3/2}+2*\sqrt(x)*y^2+y [/tex]

THANKS

ps should be 4x to the power of 3/2 , doesn't seem to like my tex.

pat666 said:
Thanks LCKurtz I now have a general and particular solution, would you mind checking my results:
[tex] c=13/3 [/tex]

THANKS

You should be able to check that yourself. Check that du = Pdx + Qdy with the exact form and that (x,y)=(1,1) works. If not, try to fix it.

I don't know what you mean by Check that du = Pdx + Qdy, du as in the differential of
[tex] 4x^{3/2}+2*\sqrt(x)*y^2+y [/tex]

also should [tex]
4*1^{3/2}+2*\sqrt(1)*1^2+1
[/tex] = 13/3? because it =s 7??

am I doing something wrong with my checking or is my solution wrong?

Thanks

The whole point of finding an integrating factor is converting your differential equation into an exact one. What LCKurtz is suggesting is that you use the partial derivative test to see if it is indeed exact.

LCKurtz said:
Don't quit yet, you almost have it. Take x > 0 to dispense with the || signs:

[tex]R(x) = e^{\int-\frac 1{2x}dx}= e^{-\frac 1 2 \int\frac 1 x}\, dx
= e^{-\frac 1 2 \ln x} = e^{\ln(x^{-\frac 1 2})} = x^{-\frac 1 2}[/tex]

Also, a TeX note, you can use the partial symbol

[tex]\partial Q/\partial x[/tex]

but subscripts are even easier: Qx or [itex]Q_x[/itex].

pat666 said:
[tex] c=13/3 [/tex]

THANKS

LCKurtz said:
You should be able to check that yourself. Check that du = Pdx + Qdy with the exact form and that (x,y)=(1,1) works. If not, try to fix it.

pat666 said:
I don't know what you mean by Check that du = Pdx + Qdy, du as in the differential of
[tex] 4x^{3/2}+2*\sqrt(x)*y^2+y [/tex]

also should [tex]
4*1^{3/2}+2*\sqrt(1)*1^2+1
[/tex] = 13/3? because it =s 7??

am I doing something wrong with my checking or is my solution wrong?

Thanks

After you multiplied by the integrating factor x-1/2 you should have gotten this DE, which you didn't show:

[tex](*)\ (2x^{\frac 1 2}+ 2x^{-\frac 1 2}y^2)dx+4x^{\frac 1 2}y dy = 0[/tex]

Presumably you have checked that this equation is exact and you have a proposed solution u(x,y) written above. The way to check whether your solution is correct is to calculate du = uxdx + uydy and see if it agrees with the exact equation (*) above.

Once you have that you need to check that x = 1, y = 1 works in your final answer.

Decided to practice a bit on this one. Here's what I've got:

1. Orig. DE is exact with the integ. factor: [tex]\mu=1/\sqrt{x}[/tex] because [tex]\frac{\partial(\frac{2x+y^2}{\sqrt{x}})}{\partial y}=\frac{2y}{\sqrt{x}}=\frac{\partial(4\sqrt{x}y)}{\partial x}\Longleftrightarrow\frac{\partial P}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x}[/tex]

2. To solve for u, we have: [tex]u(x,y)=\int\frac{2x+y^2}{\sqrt{x}}dx+g(y)=\frac{4x^{3/2}}{3}+2\sqrt{x}y^2+g(y)[/tex]

3. To find g(y), we take the partial derivative of the newly found function u(x,y) in (2) with respect to y and set it equal to Q, that is: [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=4\sqrt{x}y+\acute{g(y)}\Longrightarrow 4\sqrt{x}y+\acute{g(y)}=4\sqrt{x}y \Longrightarrow \acute{g(y)}=0[/tex]

4. So, after integrating the result in (3), we find that: [tex]g(y)=c_{1}[/tex] Thus, the overal function u(x,y) takes the form: [tex]u(x,y)=\frac{4x^{3/2}}{3}+2\sqrt{x}y^2+c_{1}=c_{2}[/tex] or, combining the constants, we have: [tex]\frac{4x^{3/2}}{3}+2\sqrt{x}y^2=c[/tex]

5. If y(1)=1, the constant c works out to be c=10/3, so that the unique solution becomes: [tex]\frac{4x^{3/2}}{3}+2\sqrt{x}y^2=\frac{10}{3}[/tex]

6. A simple check shows that: [tex]du=u_{x}dx+u_{y}dy=(\frac{4}{3}\cdot\frac{3}{2}x^{1/2}+2\frac{1}{2}x^{-1/2}y^2)dx+(2\cdot2\sqrt{x}y)dy=(\frac{2x+y^2}{\sqrt{x}})dx+(4\sqrt{x}y)dy[/tex] which is the original DE multiplied by the integrating factor.

7. I learned some simple TEX commands o:)

1. What is an ODE with integrating factor?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) with integrating factor is a type of differential equation that can be solved using a mathematical technique called integrating factor. This technique involves multiplying both sides of the equation by a specific function, known as the integrating factor, to simplify the equation and make it solvable.

2. When is an integrating factor needed in solving an ODE?

An integrating factor is needed when the given ODE is not in a form that is easily solvable. It can be used to transform the equation into a form that can be solved using standard techniques.

3. How do you find the integrating factor for an ODE?

The integrating factor for an ODE can be found by identifying the coefficient of the derivative term and then applying a specific formula. The formula involves taking the exponential of the integral of the coefficient.

4. Can all ODEs be solved using an integrating factor?

No, not all ODEs can be solved using an integrating factor. This technique is only applicable to linear first-order ODEs, which have the form dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x). For non-linear or higher-order ODEs, other techniques must be used.

5. What are the advantages of using an integrating factor to solve ODEs?

The use of an integrating factor can simplify the process of solving ODEs and make them more manageable. It can also help to find a general solution to the equation, rather than just a particular solution. In addition, using integrating factor can provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of the solution over time.