What's your favorite calculator?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the best calculator is the TI-89 Titanium because it has on-board unti-aware calculation and symbolic differentiation/integration. It is also reliable and cost effective. The HP-48SX was a close second, and the Casio ClassPad was a favorite for its 2D math feature.
My favorite calculator is Excel.

2nd favorite is any solar-powered scientific calculator, of the non-graphing type. If I want a graph, I'll use Excel and have the option of saving the graph for future reference.

For the last 10 years I've been using the solar version of this:
Dembadon said:
[PLAIN]http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/39rJvE1sIWQYuswLuw2fd-iuHRJVLwlFDF-AVJiToaPf2_8tvW7B4H3quDqig44_A9CtZQjffI5BEXChlh6u5D5dKgrQh-0Gq6NYGgtTA7_DsLUXDp-v5AWeZARzPvMkV5Sm4lFgYRF2VNtGqgzKtl3tbzipDbBxr2v3PRPZE0ktUSxMsu4raA[/QUOTE] [Broken]

I also own a TI 83+, mainly because I tutor math and the TI 8x's are so pervasive in the American education system.

hotvette said:
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for my very first calculator - an HP35 I purchased in 1973 for $395. That was a huge amount of money back then but well worth it.
My dad got hooked on HP programmable calculators in the early 1970's, and used/played with them pretty exclusively until he died in 2006. He never really made the jump to computers, though he owned a DEC Rainbow for a little while in the mid 1980's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Ivan92 said:
The best calculator ever!
brain-763982-1.jpg

I just calculated the 12th root of 2 to 9 places in a fraction of a second on my old TI-30Xa. Can your brain do that?

hotvette said:
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for my very first calculator - an HP35 I purchased in 1973 for $395. That was a huge amount of money back then but well worth it.

Ha! I bought mine used for $175 in 1973, I also got a lot of use out of it. Right now it is in its hard case in my closet.

My current calculator is a HP 28s. This is the first graphing calculator, on the market in 1986.

Redbelly,
Sorry for the loss of your dad. I too "collected" HP calculators in the '70's . I had the 35, a 25, 33,34, 71b and the 28. I never owned the greatest HP calculator the HP41c.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
I just calculated the 12th root of 2 to 9 places in a fraction of a second on my old TI-30Xa. Can your brain do that?
1.059463094 I think.

Jimmy Snyder said:
1.059463094 I think.

I just memorized this answer so my brain is able to do this next time.

Integral said:
Ha! I bought mine used for $175 in 1973, I also got a lot of use out of it. Right now it is in its hard case in my closet.

My current calculator is a HP 28s. This is the first graphing calculator, on the market in 1986.

Redbelly,
Sorry for the loss of your dad. I too "collected" HP calculators in the '70's . I had the 35, a 25, 33,34, 71b and the 28. I never owned the greatest HP calculator the HP41c.

All of these old calculators seem incredibly tedious to operate.

SW VandeCarr said:

My brain was smart enough to remember that your final answer shouldn't have more digits than the original numbers that went into the problem in the first place. Since the square root of 2 is less than 1.5 and I know the answer can't get below 1 no matter how many roots you take, that answer was pretty easy.

Getting 9 digit answers when the numbers in the problem only had 1 significant digit is one of the drawbacks of calculators. Ever since the introduction of electronic calculators, just about every math or science course now needs to start with a chapter about significant digits.

BobG said:

My brain was smart enough to remember that your final answer shouldn't have more digits than the original numbers that went into the problem in the first place. Since the square root of 2 is less than 1.5 and I know the answer can't get below 1 no matter how many roots you take, that answer was pretty easy.

Getting 9 digit answers when the numbers in the problem only had 1 significant digit is one of the drawbacks of calculators. Ever since the introduction of electronic calculators, just about every math or science course now needs to start with a chapter about significant digits.

Significant digits only count in science, not in math. Pi goes forever, and so does the square root of two, and every other irrational number. We can take them as far as we like in pure mathematics, regardless of the length of other numbers in a calculation.

ArcanaNoir said:
Significant digits only count in science, not in math. Pi goes forever, and so does the square root of two, and every other irrational number. We can take them as far as we like in pure mathematics, regardless of the length of other numbers in a calculation.

Yes. There's also a practical value to taking the 12th root of 2 to a desired level of precision. It's the constant multiplier of the fundamental frequencies across an "octave" (actually 12, not 8 tones). So taking a base frequency B and using [itex]B*2^{x/12}[/itex] where x is an integer [itex]0\leq x\leq 12[/itex], gives the fundamental frequency of the tones across the "octave".

Last edited:
ArcanaNoir said:

Exactly, so in pure math we never need a calculator to calculate digits!
*Sigh*

When pi comes up in mathematics or theoretical physics, it is represented as [itex]\pi[/itex]. In engineering or experimental physics, 3.14 usually suffices. In neither case is an infinite number of digits required.

Integral said:
Ha! I bought mine used for $175 in 1973, I also got a lot of use out of it. Right now it is in its hard case in my closet

Wow, good price. I didn't even consider used. I unfortunately sold mine in 1984 for $5 in a garage sale (including original hard case, leather soft case, charger, and manuals). Big mistake.

stringy said:
1282676473_22gu91.jpg

:smile:

Aww you beat me to it...

Thanks to it, I don't know how to solve integrals by myself anymore. ==

HP-41CX. I bought that during grad school, ca. 1982, and I still have and use it.

Before 1982 I had a TI-SR51 and TI-58C.

I've always been partial to Sharp calculators. The first calculator I ever had was a TI (natch). They were the only ones available when handhelds first came out - they had those awful red LED displays. In college, I found a Sharp EL-512 which was around $30 and was programmable.

sharp_EL-5121.jpg

That was the beginning of my love affair with Sharp calculators. I have yet to find an inexpensive (< $20) calculator that I like that beats a Sharp. They have plenty of functions and (more importantly) their keyboards are generally laid out better than those of other companies.

Later in college, I found that many of the "rich" students were using HP calculators with RPN. I found those intriguing and ended up buying an HP 32SII (also for around $30).

hp_32sii_full.jpg
It, too, is programmable, allowing for much more complex programs (albeit, with greater difficulty). After college, I found a newer Sharp to replace my trusty old EL-512 which had broken. I got an EL-520W for around $20 which has become my new favorite.

EL-520W.jpg

It does everything I need (including complex numbers) and even does simple derivatives and integrals.

A co-worker had this horrible Casio calculator that was extremely difficult to use (even for simple calculations). I bought him a Sharp EL-531X which is very similar to my EL-520 (lacking some of the more complicated functions) for $10 at Office Depot.

722-el531xwh.jpg

Last edited:
My calculator:
100px-Matlab_Logo.png

When I'm not on a computer, I have a Ti-84, though I just bought an HP-50 to replace it.

My HP-28S has been serving me well for the past 23 years and has been my favourite calculator to use. Recently acquired a second one off ebay so that I'd have one for work and for home

Scientific calculator: TI-30XS MultiView™
U72755_ti-30xs_multiview_scientific_calculator.jpg

I have an HP-32S bought new in 1990. In the past few weeks it has started missing zeros when I enter numbers (some problem with the key). Too bad, I really like the calculator. I hear the new ones are crap, anyone have any good tips on a replacement?

gmax137 said:
I have an HP-32S bought new in 1990. In the past few weeks it has started missing zeros when I enter numbers (some problem with the key). Too bad, I really like the calculator. I hear the new ones are crap, anyone have any good tips on a replacement?

The HP35s is the way! :smile:

gmax137 said:
I have an HP-32S bought new in 1990. In the past few weeks it has started missing zeros when I enter numbers (some problem with the key).

Just figure out how to take it apart and clean the gunk out of the keyboard. You will probably by surprised by what has got in there, over the years. It should then by OK for another 20 years!

Warning - before you take it apart, make sure you have a drawing or a picture of where all the keys go, otherwise you will probably be guessing which function key goes where when you rebuild it. It is usually possible to take a calculator apart so all the keys DON'T fall out in a heap - but only after you have done it wrong the first time, and learned from your mistake!

<h2>What is the best calculator for scientific calculations?</h2><p>The best calculator for scientific calculations depends on the specific needs and preferences of the scientist. Some popular options include the TI-84 Plus, Casio fx-115ES Plus, and HP 35s.</p><h2>What features should I look for in a scientific calculator?</h2><p>Some important features to consider when choosing a scientific calculator include the ability to perform basic mathematical functions, graphing capabilities, memory storage, and the ability to handle complex equations and formulas.</p><h2>Can I use a calculator for advanced scientific calculations?</h2><p>Yes, many scientific calculators are designed specifically for advanced calculations, such as solving equations, graphing functions, and performing statistical analysis. It is important to choose a calculator with the necessary features for your specific needs.</p><h2>What is the difference between a scientific calculator and a graphing calculator?</h2><p>A scientific calculator is typically used for basic and advanced mathematical calculations, while a graphing calculator has the added capability of graphing functions and equations. Graphing calculators are often used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.</p><h2>Can I use a calculator for scientific research?</h2><p>Yes, scientific calculators are commonly used in research for their accuracy and ability to handle complex calculations. However, it is important to choose a calculator that meets the specific needs and requirements of the research being conducted.</p>

What is the best calculator for scientific calculations?

The best calculator for scientific calculations depends on the specific needs and preferences of the scientist. Some popular options include the TI-84 Plus, Casio fx-115ES Plus, and HP 35s.

What features should I look for in a scientific calculator?

Some important features to consider when choosing a scientific calculator include the ability to perform basic mathematical functions, graphing capabilities, memory storage, and the ability to handle complex equations and formulas.

Can I use a calculator for advanced scientific calculations?

Yes, many scientific calculators are designed specifically for advanced calculations, such as solving equations, graphing functions, and performing statistical analysis. It is important to choose a calculator with the necessary features for your specific needs.

What is the difference between a scientific calculator and a graphing calculator?

A scientific calculator is typically used for basic and advanced mathematical calculations, while a graphing calculator has the added capability of graphing functions and equations. Graphing calculators are often used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

Can I use a calculator for scientific research?

Yes, scientific calculators are commonly used in research for their accuracy and ability to handle complex calculations. However, it is important to choose a calculator that meets the specific needs and requirements of the research being conducted.