Need Help with Elementary integral derivation.

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficulty in solving an integral in Landau Theoretical Physics Volume 1 page 28 (3rd edition). The integral is ∫1/√(E-u)(σ-E) with respect to dE between u and sigma and the book claims it should equal ∏. The person is seeking help in correctly deriving the integral and shares an example of it on Wolfram Alpha with no explanation. Another person suggests changing variables and setting one of the variables to zero to solve the integral. The first person thanks the second person and asks for further explanation on why this method is allowed.
FriendlyHippo
Hello! :)

Having a hard time managing to solve ad integral in Landau Theoretical Physics Volume 1 page 28 (3rd edition) (Determination of the potential energy from the period of oscillation)

The integral is ∫1/√(E-u)(σ-E) with respect to dE between u and sigma. The book claims that the integral is elementary and should come to equal ∏, yet no matter how many different ways I have attempted this, I have drawn a blank. Any help on the correct derivation would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
FriendlyHippo said:
Heres an example of this integral on wolfram-alpha. No explanation is given, and I just can't find a way of doing it.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+1/(sqrt(x-y)+*+sqrt(z-x))+dx+between+y+and+z

If 0 < a < b, let [tex] J(a,b) =\int_a^b \frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-a)(b-x)}}\, dx. [/tex] First change variables to y = x-a, so the integral runs from y = 0 to y = b' = b-a; now a is replaced by 0 and b is replaced by b'. Finally, let z = y/b'. Write out the z-integral and see what you get.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
now a is replaced by 0 and b is replaced by b'.

Allowing for this, the integral come out as expected, thanks. I have not come across this method for the quote above before. Could you possibly point me in the right direction as to why it is allowed. As setting something within the integral to zero seems like it could be a useful technique for other times, that I would like understand.

Thanks

Hippo

1. What is an elementary integral derivation?

An elementary integral derivation is the process of finding the antiderivative of a given function. It involves using various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities to solve for the original function.

2. Why do we need to learn about elementary integral derivation?

Elementary integral derivation is an important skill in mathematics and science. It allows us to solve for the area under a curve, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values.

3. How do I know when to use which integration technique?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to choosing an integration technique. It often depends on the complexity of the function and the available tools at hand. You can start by looking for patterns and familiar forms in the integrand, and then use the appropriate technique accordingly.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve for elementary integral derivations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the antiderivative of a function. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind the calculations, as blindly relying on a calculator may lead to errors or hinder your understanding of the problem.

5. Are there any tips for solving elementary integral derivations more efficiently?

Practice and familiarity with different integration techniques are key to becoming more efficient at solving elementary integral derivations. It also helps to look for opportunities to simplify the integrand before starting the integration process, such as using algebraic manipulations or factoring. Additionally, keeping a list of common integral formulas and identities can be helpful in quickly identifying the appropriate technique to use.