Good science or math books to read

In summary, for leisurely reading on mathematics, recommendations include "Real and Complex Analysis" by Rudin, "Hardy's Apology" with Snow's foreword, the seven lectures given by Feynman at Cornell, "GEB" by Hofstadter, "Geometry and the Imagination" by Hilbert and Cohn-Vossen, "Visual Complex Analysis", "What is Mathematics?" by Courant and Robbins, "Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction" by Timothy Gowers, "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics", "Mathematics from the Birth of Numbers", "The World of Mathematics" by Dover, "Genius" by Gleick, "Thirty Years that Shook Physics" by Gamow, "Soul
cs23
Can anyone recommend any material to read leisurely?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Real and complex analysis" by Rudin.

OK, just ignore me :biggrin:

Hmm...Not sure what you mean by 'leisurely'. But I'd suggest go read Hardy's Apology if you haven't read it. (Snow's foreword actually made me cry...). You can also watch the seven lectures Feynman gave at Cornell. I already watched them like 10 times..

Oh and of course, "GEB".

Last edited:
micromass said:

Oh, that's evil! :biggrin:

Geometry and the Imagination ~ Hilbert

three dimensional geometry and topology by william thurston., vol. 1.

micromass said:

hahahahaha

Maybe "Visual Complex Analysis"?

These are real math books that also happen to be good leisure reading in my opinion:

Courant and Robbins, What Is Mathematics?
Stillwell, Mathematics and Its History

Here are some less rigorous ones which I've enjoyed:

Dunham, Euler: Master of Us All
Simmons, Calculus Gems

micromass said:
I'll meet your Rudin and up the ante by one Lang's Algebra.

http://101usesforlang.com/

:-p

(I don't know any cartoons based on the Bourbaki textbooks).

Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction - Timothy Gowers

Hmmm, as much as I respect Papa Rudin, I'd recommend the Princeton Companion to Mathematics, or Mathematics from the Birth of Numbers for more casual reading. Any of the volumes of Dover's The World of Mathematics are also very good. Slightly thinner books I'd suggest are Gleick's Genius book about Feynman, Thirty Years that Shook Physics by Gamow, and maybe Kidder's Soul of A New Machine.

jbunniii said:
Courant and Robbins, What Is Mathematics?

"The Feynman Lectures on Physics" and this^^! I really enjoyed "What is Mathematics" as some casual reading and it's very accessible.

Also a good text on mathematical reasoning is essential.

What do you mean by leisurely? Studying at your own pace, or recreational reading?

One of my favorite math books is Fermat's Enigma, by Simon Singh. It's very accessible, compelling, and educational. It covers a lot of ground in mathematical history as it tells the story of how mathematicians over the years chipped away at the problem of Fermat's Last Theorem, until Andrew Wiles finally came up with a complete proof.

espen180 said:
Maybe "Visual Complex Analysis"?
That was going to be my suggestion.

Concepts of Modern Mathematics by Ian Stewart

geometry and the imagination, by hilbert and cohn vossen. but do not read anything by rudin, unless you are very unusual.

1. What makes a science or math book a "good" read?

A good science or math book should be engaging and accessible to readers of all levels. It should present complex concepts in a clear and understandable manner, with real-world examples and applications. Additionally, a good book should be well-researched and supported by evidence.

2. Are there any science or math books that are suitable for beginners?

Yes, there are many science and math books that are specifically written for beginners. These books often have a more narrative style and use relatable examples to explain complex concepts. Some popular beginner-friendly science books include "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson and "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot.

3. Can you recommend any science or math books for advanced readers?

For advanced readers, there are many science and math books that delve deeper into complex topics and may require a stronger background in the subject. Some popular advanced science books include "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

4. Are there any science or math books that are suitable for both adults and children?

Yes, there are many science and math books that are written for a wide age range and can be enjoyed by both adults and children. These books often use engaging illustrations and activities to make learning fun for all ages. Some popular books in this category include "The Magic School Bus" series by Joanna Cole and "A Brief History of Time for Young Readers" by Stephen Hawking.

5. Is it important for a science or math book to be up-to-date?

Yes, it is important for a science or math book to be up-to-date in order to accurately reflect the current state of knowledge and research in the field. However, some classic books may still be relevant and useful for readers, even if they were written many years ago. It is always a good idea to check the publication date and do additional research on the topic before reading a book to ensure its accuracy and relevance.