Magnitude and Phase of Transfer Function

In summary, the person is trying to solve a homework problem and is having trouble with the phase part. They are unsure of what the correct answer is and need help from someone more knowledgeable.
zonedestruct

Homework Statement

I am given the transfer function H(s) = 10/(s(s^2 + 80s +400)) where s = jω [j is the imaginary unit i] and I am trying to get it into its magnitude and phase components.

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged it to 1/(40jω(1+ 4jω/20 + (jω/20)^2)) which is the standard form for transfer functions. I am wanting to plot the bode plots so I took the 20 * log base 10 of the entire transfer function and got for the magnitude: -20log(40) - 20log(1/(jω))- 20log(1+ 4jω/20 + (jω/20)^2)
and for the phase I got: -90° - tan^-1((ω/5)/(1-ω^2/400))

but in my textbook when they show the bode plots for the phase it has - tan^-1(ω/(1-ω^2/400)) for one of the phase factors and I am not sure why my numerator is ω/5 and there one is just ω.

If you don't study electrical engineering and are not sure of some of the stuff I said then basically H(s) = 10/(s(s^2 + 80s +400)) where s = jω is a complex number and j is the same as the imaginary unit i, so I need help to put this complex number into its magnitude and phase, I am pretty sure i got the magnitude part right.

Please can anyone help me by at least showing me how to get the phase part of this complex number

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the numerator of your transfer function is purely real we can concentrate on the denominator; it's phase will be the negative of (180° shifted) the transfer function's phase.

## s ( s^2 + 80 s + 400 ) → \omega j (-\omega^2 + 80 j \omega + 400) ##

## -80 \omega^2 + j (400 \omega - \omega^3) ##

Divide through by 400ω:

## -\frac{\omega}{5} + j \left( 1 - \frac{\omega^2}{400} \right) ##

Looks like the book's solution is not correct.

The phase part is just tan-1{(imaginary part)/(real part)}.

As gneill pointed out, your transfer function phase angle will be the negative of the numerator phase angle, i.e.

ψ = - tan-1{(imaginary part)/(real part)} of the denominator.

{However, -ψ is not the same as ψ shifted by 180. E.g if ψ = 30 deg, -ψ is the same as 360 - 30 = 330 deg, not 30 - 180 or 30 + 180.}

Also, be careful to preserve numerator and denominator signs in the arc tan expression. So arc tan(-a/b) is not the same angle as arc tan(a/-b).

rude man said:
{However, -ψ is not the same as ψ shifted by 180. E.g if ψ = 30 deg, -ψ is the same as 360 - 30 = 330 deg, not 30 - 180 or 30 + 180.}
Good catch, rude man; That was a brain fart on my part :redface: I hate when that happens :smile:

gneill said:
Good catch, rude man; That was a brain fart on my part :redface: I hate when that happens :smile:

Don't feel bad! After writing that I wasn't so sure myself that what I wrote was really right! It's really something to think about - after all -V does = V at 180! Subtle business, electricity!

No to mention that what I wrote wasn't quite right anyway - the angle of the transfer function, not that of the numerator, is the negative of the angle of the denominator, as you of course had already pointed out. Oy vey!

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of magnitude in the transfer function?

The magnitude of a transfer function refers to the amplitude or strength of the output signal compared to the input signal, at a specific frequency. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and provides information about the gain or attenuation of the system.

2. How is the magnitude of a transfer function related to the system's frequency response?

The magnitude of a transfer function is directly related to the system's frequency response. It shows how the system responds to different frequencies in terms of gain or attenuation. A higher magnitude indicates a stronger response at that particular frequency.

3. What is the phase of a transfer function?

The phase of a transfer function represents the time delay or shift between the input and output signals at a specific frequency. It is measured in degrees and provides information about the time relationship between the input and output signals.

4. How does the phase of a transfer function affect the system's stability?

The phase of a transfer function is crucial in determining the stability of a system. If the phase shift exceeds 180 degrees, it can lead to instability or oscillations in the system. Therefore, it is important to design systems with phase margins to ensure stability.

5. Can the magnitude and phase of a transfer function be changed?

Yes, the magnitude and phase of a transfer function can be changed by altering the system's components or parameters. This can be done through the use of filters, amplifiers, or other control elements. It is important to carefully design and adjust these components to achieve the desired system response.