Interesting integrals, which I think involve the gamma function

In summary: That's really helpful.In summary, the integrals can be evaluated by using substitution and putting them into the form of a gamma function, as demonstrated by the conversation and examples provided. This method avoids the need for integration by parts.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

Evaluate the intergrals:
a) integral of 3^(-4*z^2) dz from 0 to infinity
b) integral of dx/(sqrt(-ln(x))) from 0 to 1
c) integral of x^m * e^(-a*x^n) dx from 0 to infinity

Homework Equations

gamma(n) = integral of e^(-w) * w^(n-1) dw from 0 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming I use:
as it was used in the rest of the problems in this set, however I have no idea where to begin on (a) and (b). For (c) I've been trying to get it to match up with the gamma function above, but the a variable is giving me some difficulty. I should be able to get (c) eventually, but if you could please help with (a) and (b) that would be great as well with anything that simplifies (c)

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) change 3^(-4*z^2) to e^(log(3)*(-4)*z^2), now try the substitution w=log(3)*4*z^2. For b) the obvious thing to try is w=(-ln(x)), do you see why?

for a) once w=4z^2*ln(3), dw=8ln(3)z, so then i get
1/(8ln(3)) integral of e^(-w)*z^-1 dw. So do I solve w^(n-1) = z^-1 for n and take the gamma function of n? That just seems wrong/overly comlicated for me.
As for b) I'm not sure what there is to see, and when do the limits change to match those on the integral on the gamma function? Also, I'm currently stuck on c) as well

MeMoses said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the intergrals:

...however I have no idea where to begin on (a) and (b). For (c) I've been trying to get it to match up with the gamma function above, but the a variable is giving me some difficulty. I should be able to get (c) eventually, but if you could please help with (a) and (b) that would be great as well with anything that simplifies (c)
For (a):

Let [itex]u=2(\sqrt{ln(3)})z\,.[/itex]

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral if you don't know the result for the Gaussian Integral.

MeMoses said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the intergrals:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming I use:
as it was used in the rest of the problems in this set, however I have no idea where to begin on (a) and (b). For (c) I've been trying to get it to match up with the gamma function above, but the a variable is giving me some difficulty. I should be able to get (c) eventually, but if you could please help with (a) and (b) that would be great as well with anything that simplifies (c)
For (b):

Do integration by parts.
Choose u & dv in a somewhat backwards way.

This is what you want for v : [itex]\displaystyle v =\sqrt{-ln(x)}\,.[/itex]

Then find dv and find what u must be.

Why do you want [itex]\displaystyle v =\sqrt{-ln(x)}\,?[/itex]
Look at the graph of [itex]f(x)=\sqrt{-ln(x)}\,.[/itex]

The integral [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^1 f(x)\,dx[/itex] is the same as [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^\infty f^{-1}(y)\,dy[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle f^{-1}(y)=\underline{\ ?\ }[/itex]​

SammyS said:
For (a):

Let [itex]u=2(\sqrt{ln(3)})z\,.[/itex]

Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral if you don't know the result for the Gaussian Integral.

Hey SammyS, you can do all of these by substituting and putting into the form of a gamma function. Your alternative works, but the gamma route doesn't involve any integration by parts.

Dick said:
Hey SammyS, you can do all of these by substituting and putting into the form of a gamma function. Your alternative works, but the gamma route doesn't involve any integration by parts.
Thanks !

1. What is the gamma function?

The gamma function is a mathematical function denoted by Γ(z) and is an extension of the factorial function to real and complex numbers. It is defined as Γ(z) = ∫0 xz-1e-x dx and is used extensively in various branches of mathematics, including probability, number theory, and physics.

2. How is the gamma function related to integrals?

The gamma function is closely related to integrals, as it is defined as the integral of the function xz-1e-x over the interval [0,∞]. In fact, the gamma function is sometimes referred to as the "complete" or "proper" integral of xz-1e-x, as it includes the entire range of real numbers.

3. Can you give an example of an interesting integral involving the gamma function?

Sure! One interesting integral involving the gamma function is the Euler integral of the first kind, which is given by ∫0 e-x/xn dx = Γ(n-1) for n > 1. This integral is used in many mathematical proofs and has connections to other important functions, such as the Riemann zeta function.

4. What are some applications of the gamma function in science?

The gamma function has numerous applications in science, including probability and statistics, where it is used to calculate the probability density function of various distributions. It is also used in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics, to describe wave functions and energy levels. Additionally, the gamma function is used in engineering and economics to model various systems and processes.

5. Are there any interesting properties of the gamma function?

Yes, the gamma function has many interesting properties, including the fact that it is a meromorphic function with simple poles at negative integers. It also has a functional equation, which relates the values of the gamma function at z and 1-z. Furthermore, the gamma function has connections to other important functions, such as the beta function and the hypergeometric function, making it a powerful tool in mathematical analysis and applications.