Tips on getting into the Aerospace Industry

In summary, the individual is a recent graduate with a BS in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Aerospace Engineering. They have a strong desire to work in the aerospace field, but have found it difficult due to the experience requirements of most employers. They have a well-crafted resume and are open to any advice or pointers for breaking into the industry. Some suggestions include listing relevant companies, researching recent contract awards, networking, and applying for entry-level positions or internships. Persistence, determination, and continuously honing their skills will ultimately lead to success in their desired career path.
swadejaxsun
I'm a graduate with a BS in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Aerospace Engineering.

It is my dream to work in the Aerospace field. As I've learned since I graduated, it's a field where folks want 3+ years of experience most of the time which I'm told (and kind of assumed) has a lot to do with the economy and funding cuts in this particular field.

My resume is spot on, my GPA is excellent (as I've been told repeatedly).

My goal is to be working on space flight systems, spacecraft design, propulsion, or anything in that area.

Any advice/pointers/knowledge would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were in your position (looking for work in aerospace) I would:

1. List every company that supplies ___(space flight systems, etc.)

2. Research recent contract awards to those companies. I don't know how to do this, but I'm sure it is public knowledge. When a company gets a contract to produce something they need new warm bodies to do all the work.

3. Get into direct contact with those companies and ask for an interview...they always are ready to take recent graduates for junior positions. You have to start somewhere. Once on board you can prove your competence and they will value you (with salary increases, paid training, tuition aid towards your Master's, and more benefits).

Unrelated example: When Boeing won the contract for approximately 30 new "Dreamliners" last year they hired more than 1,000 newbies.

Last edited:

As a fellow engineering graduate, I can understand your frustration with the job market in the aerospace field. It can definitely be tough to break into, especially with the experience requirements that most employers have. However, don't let that discourage you from pursuing your dream.

First of all, make sure your resume is tailored specifically for the aerospace industry. Highlight any relevant coursework, projects, or internships that you have completed in this field. Also, consider obtaining certifications or additional training in areas that are in high demand in the aerospace industry, such as computer-aided design (CAD) or finite element analysis (FEA).

Networking is also crucial in this field. Attend industry events, job fairs, and conferences to connect with professionals in the aerospace industry. You never know when an opportunity may arise through a connection or referral.

Consider applying for entry-level positions or internships to gain some experience in the field. This will not only help you build your resume, but it will also give you a chance to learn more about the industry and make valuable connections.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out to companies directly. Research the top aerospace companies and see if they have any open positions or if they offer any training programs for recent graduates. You can also reach out to alumni from your university who are working in the aerospace industry for advice and potential job opportunities.

Overall, persistence and determination will be key in pursuing your dream of working in the aerospace field. Keep honing your skills, networking, and applying for opportunities, and eventually, you will find the right fit for your career goals. Best of luck!

1. How can I gain relevant experience for the aerospace industry?

One way to gain relevant experience is to intern or volunteer at a company or organization in the aerospace industry. You can also participate in research projects or join clubs and organizations related to aerospace. Additionally, you can take courses or workshops to learn technical skills and stay updated on industry developments.

2. What skills are important in the aerospace industry?

Some important skills in the aerospace industry include technical skills such as engineering and programming, as well as soft skills like problem-solving, communication, and teamwork. Being adaptable and open to learning new technologies and techniques is also valuable in this constantly evolving field.

3. What level of education is required for the aerospace industry?

Most positions in the aerospace industry require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or physics. Some roles may also require a master's or doctoral degree. However, experience and skills are also important, so pursuing internships and gaining relevant experience can help compensate for a lack of formal education.

4. How can I stand out in the aerospace industry job market?

One way to stand out is to develop a strong portfolio or resume showcasing your relevant skills and experience. Networking and making connections in the industry can also help you stand out and potentially lead to job opportunities. Additionally, staying updated on industry developments and being knowledgeable about current projects and technologies can make you a more attractive candidate.

5. What is the job outlook for the aerospace industry?

The job outlook for the aerospace industry is generally positive, with a projected growth rate of 3% from 2020 to 2030. However, the demand for specific roles may fluctuate depending on the state of the economy and the industry. Staying updated on industry trends and continuously developing your skills can help you stay competitive in the job market.