Is the Aharonov-Bohm Effect Achievable in Practice?

In summary: The Aharonov-Bohm effect relies on a magnetic field that is only non-zero within a given range. However, is it possible, even in principle (i.e. theoretically), to have such a magnetic field?Yes, it is possible.
nonequilibrium
So the Aharonov-Bohm effect relies on a magnetic field that is only non-zero within a given range. However, is it possible, even in principle (i.e. theoretically), to have such a magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to get a very good approximation.
The effect does not require zero field strength anywhere - the interesting thing is just that it works with zero field strength, too.

The effect does not require zero field strength anywhere - the interesting thing is just that it works with zero field strength, too.

But the surprising element of the effect relies on the field being (exactly) zero outside the given region; if the field is not exactly zero (again: not even theoretically [because obviously experimentally it will never be exactly zero]), the significance of the effect would be marginal, and the effect wouldn't be near as famous as it is today (at least I don't see any reason for this).

There are no frictionless planes, no massless pulleys, no stretchless ropes, and no regions with exactly zero magnetic field. You shouldn't let this get in the way of your understanding, because there are regions where the friction, mass, elasticity and exact zeroness of the field are unimportant.

Vanadium, if you'll look at my above posts, I emphasized as often as I could "even theoretically". Theoretically there are frictionless planes, etc. But are there theoretically (i.e. consistent with Maxwell's laws, or maybe even with QED if need be) magnetic fields which are only non-zero within a certain boundary?

If the answer is "no", then the Aharonov-Bohm effect seems to be nothing special.

EDIT: also, I wouldn't call this matter unimportant in the context of the Aharonov-Bohm effect; rather, it's the whole shabang.

mr. vodka said:
[...], I emphasized as often as I could "even theoretically".
Well, "theoretically" you could have an infinitely long ideal solenoid (of infinitesimal diameter)...

I don't like your first example, as it contains something infinitely big and hence e.g. infinite energy, but I think I do like your second example. I'm still not completely sold about it, as it contains a limiting procedure. But I think we can avoid that: do you think that specifying the following charge and current distribution will give a zero field outside of a torus?
Charge = 0
Current = along the circumference of the circles that make up the torus

I would think so... and that would answer my question. Thank you :)

mr. vodka said:
So the Aharonov-Bohm effect relies on a magnetic field that is only non-zero within a given range. However, is it possible, even in principle (i.e. theoretically), to have such a magnetic field?

Of course it is possible.

The AB effect is most easily seen in a magnetic field excluded environment in a superconducting ring. You can't get much greater magnetic field exclusion in a region than that.
I don't exactly understand the nature of your concern...
It is the Magnetic vector potential that affects the phase of electrons, and it is the strength of the vector potential that determines the phase change...

And the AB effect is very significant...in that it accounts for the magnetic quantum flux requirement in a superconductive ring.

Last edited:
It is not possible - even theoretically - to have a frictionless plane, a massless pulley, etc. Or an identically zero magnetic field over a region large enough to perform this experiment. Every ideal experiment is realized in some way where something is not ideal. That's not a reason not to learn from them.

In the case in question, B cannot be made identically zero. However, what one can do is make B too small to have a measurable impact on the outcome, so everything observable is driven by the strength of A. Surely that should be enough.

1. What is the Aharonov-Bohm effect?

The Aharonov-Bohm effect is a quantum mechanical phenomenon where a charged particle is influenced by an electromagnetic field even when the particle is outside the field's region. This effect was first proposed by Yakir Aharonov and David Bohm in 1959.

2. How is the Aharonov-Bohm effect realizable?

The Aharonov-Bohm effect is realizable through a thought experiment known as the Aharonov-Bohm effect setup. This setup involves a solenoid with a magnetic field, but no electric field, and a charged particle passing through the region where the magnetic field is present. The particle's trajectory is affected by the magnetic field, even though there is no direct interaction between the particle and the field.

3. What is the significance of the Aharonov-Bohm effect?

The Aharonov-Bohm effect is significant because it challenges our understanding of classical electromagnetism. It shows that the electric and magnetic fields are not the only factors that can influence a charged particle, and that even in the absence of a direct interaction, a particle can still be affected by a field.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the Aharonov-Bohm effect?

While the Aharonov-Bohm effect is mainly a theoretical concept, it has been observed in experiments involving electrons and atomic systems. However, there are currently no known practical applications of the Aharonov-Bohm effect.

5. How does the Aharonov-Bohm effect relate to quantum mechanics?

The Aharonov-Bohm effect is a phenomenon that can only be explained using the principles of quantum mechanics. It highlights the role of quantum phase in determining the behavior of particles and challenges the classical understanding of forces and interactions between particles.