Which Abstract Algebra Textbook is Best for Self-Study?

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a textbook for self-study in abstract algebra. They are considering Artin's Algebra and Dummit's Abstract Algebra, and ask for a recommendation. The response is that Artin is considered superior in many ways, with clear and powerful insights and arguments. However, Dummitt and Foote also have some strengths, but their approach to explanation is not preferred by the speaker. The conversation suggests consulting both books and reading a bit of each to determine which is best for the individual.
kostas230
I need to buy a textbook for self study in abstract algebra for self study. Although I'm a physics major, I have lot's of experience with proof. I'm between Artin's Algebra and Dummit's Abstract Algebra. Which one do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Artin is in many ways superior to Dummit and Foote.

micromass said:
Artin is in many ways superior to Dummit and Foote.

In what ways exactly?

Well Mike Artin is a very famous world class algebraist/algebraic geometer.

His insights and arguments are very clear and powerful.

Dummitt and Foote also has some very clear expositions an excellent selection of problems, but i myself disagree with their philosophy of explanation.

it doesn't hurt to consult both books.

What bothered me about Dummitt and Foote waS A TENDENCY TO GIVE PROOFS THAT WERE unhelpful for understanding or calculation, and put the more helpful approaches in the problem sets.

No doubt Dummitt and Foote are strong algebraists, but Mike Artin is, in my opinion, on a very special and elite level. His book gives you the course for MIT sophomores.

Dummitt and Foote does cover some topics omitted from Artin, like tensor algebra.

Why don't you read a bit of both of them and see which suits you better? if you find you prfer Dummitt and Foote, then use that to learn, and I suggest graduaTING TO Artin later.

What do you say micromass?

I understand the importance of choosing the right resources for self-study in a complex subject like abstract algebra. Both Artin's Algebra and Dummit's Abstract Algebra are highly respected textbooks in the field, so it ultimately depends on your personal learning style and goals.

If you have a strong background in proof and are looking for a more theoretical and rigorous approach, Dummit's Abstract Algebra may be the better option for you. This textbook is known for its comprehensive coverage of abstract algebra concepts and its challenging exercises.

On the other hand, if you prefer a more intuitive and application-based approach, Artin's Algebra may be a better fit. This textbook is known for its clear explanations and examples, making it more accessible for those with a physics background.

Ultimately, I recommend taking a closer look at the contents and structure of both textbooks to determine which one aligns better with your learning style and goals. Whichever textbook you choose, I wish you success in your self-study of abstract algebra.

1. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the abstract properties of these structures rather than specific numbers or equations.

2. Who should study Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is typically studied by advanced undergraduate or graduate students in mathematics. It is also useful for students in other fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering.

3. What topics are covered in an Abstract Algebra textbook?

An Abstract Algebra textbook covers topics such as group theory, ring theory, field theory, vector spaces, and modules. It also includes topics such as homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and quotient structures.

4. How is Abstract Algebra different from traditional algebra?

Traditional algebra focuses on the manipulation of numbers and equations, while Abstract Algebra focuses on the abstract properties of algebraic structures. It also deals with more complex structures and operations than traditional algebra.

5. What are the applications of Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra has various applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, computer science, and physics. It also serves as a foundation for advanced mathematics courses such as topology and algebraic geometry.