Constructing an Edge in Progressive Betting Systems for Coin Toss Events

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of getting a certain outcome in a coin toss, specifically the probability of getting a specific sequence of heads or tails in a cluster of 6 tosses. The question is whether a betting system can be constructed based on this probability, and whether previous outcomes have any effect on future outcomes. The conversation also includes a discussion on martingales and their effectiveness in this scenario. Overall, it is concluded that since the coin is fair and each bet has zero expected value, there is no advantage to be gained from using a betting system.
scalpmaster
I came across a post here which is puzzling:
http://quant.stackexchange.com/questions/4442/coin-toss-system

2 events:
(1) prob(H or T)of a toss = 0.5.
(2) prob(HH or TT) in a cluster of 6 tosses > 0.85.
If you are betting on event(2) .i.e.A group of 6 instead of the very next toss
Can an edge be actually constructed with some kind of progressive betting system?

Physics news on Phys.org
scalpmaster said:

2 events:
Can an edge be actually constructed with some kind of progressive betting system?

What sort of edge do you mean?

Note: I got .96875 (=31/32) for (2).

mathman said:
What sort of edge do you mean?

Thanks for the reply.Just wondering if we place a bet for consecutive appearance of T or H only after appearance of HTHT or THTH, would there be an advantage since probability is quite high if we count every cluster of 6 tosses as an event instead of every single toss?

mathman said:
Then what did you get for (1)?
scalpmaster said:
Just wondering if we place a bet for consecutive appearance of T or H only after appearance of HTHT or THTH, would there be an advantage since probability is quite high if we count every cluster of 6 tosses as an event instead of every single toss?
Is your coin endowed with some sort of memory that makes future outcomes depend on previous ones?

Note to Norwegian - for (1) I assumed it was a fair coin, so that the probability of heads = probability of tails = 1/2.

Note to scalpmaster - Norwegians comment is correct. Past events have no effect on the outcomes of future events for coin tossing.

mathman said:
Note to Norwegian - for (1) I assumed it was a fair coin, so that the probability of heads = probability of tails = 1/2.
In that case, you may want to reconsider your previous note
mathman said:
as you seem to have inconsistent interpretations of "H or T" and "HH or TT".

Norwegian said:
In that case, you may want to reconsider your previous note

as you seem to have inconsistent interpretations of "H or T" and "HH or TT".

My calculation of (2): First toss anything. To avoid HH or TT, each subsequent toss must be opposite of previous toss. For 5 tosses in a row the probability is 1/32. Therefore the probability of getting HH or TT = 31/32.

mathman said:
My calculation of (2): First toss anything. To avoid HH or TT, each subsequent toss must be opposite of previous toss. For 5 tosses in a row the probability is 1/32. Therefore the probability of getting HH or TT = 31/32.
Sure, but then the probability of getting H or T in (1) must be 100%.

scalpmaster said:

2 events:

If you are betting on independent groups of six then results from a previous group will have no effect on the next group.

ImaLooser said:
If you are betting on independent groups of six then results from a previous group will have no effect on the next group.

That is not what (2) meant or whether the coin has memory or not.

If you win $1 on 9.6 times and lose $3 every 0.4 times out of 10 groups/counts of 6 tosses (applying martingale if necessary only once on 6th toss), it is a positive expectation game conceptually.

However, the assumption was that you can only start betting on the 5th toss(or 4th) which becomes unclear whether the advantage still stands(which is my question).

Basically, out of 10 groups of 6 tosses, you will find at least 9 groups with a HH or TT in it.
However, this HH or TT can occur on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th toss, and conventional martingale(limited to once) only gives positive expectation from the 4th toss onwards...unless someone can devise another scheme which still gives positive expectation(maybe smaller) but with more coverage.

Last edited:
scalpmaster said:
If you win $1 on 9.6 times and lose $3 every 0.4 times out of 10 groups/counts of 6 tosses (applying martingale if necessary only once on 6th toss), it is a positive expectation game conceptually.
Hi there, would you mind informing us of your proposed betting procedure, an in particular how you arrive at your numbers?

And again, since your coin is fair, and I suppose you are given fair odds on each bet, all bets, both individually and collectively, will have zero EV. That is a fact. Any scheme suggesting otherwise does not work, and that includes your attempt above. If you maintain your claim, you are probably breaking the forum rules, and the strict forum police may strike at any moment.

Norwegian said:
Hi there, would you mind informing us of your proposed betting procedure, an in particular how you arrive at your numbers?

And again, since your coin is fair, and I suppose you are given fair odds on each bet, all bets, both individually and collectively, will have zero EV. That is a fact. Any scheme suggesting otherwise does not work, and that includes your attempt above. If you maintain your claim, you are probably breaking the forum rules, and the strict forum police may strike at any moment.

Actually martingales have infinite expectation. But it only works if you have infinite money.

Norwegian said:
Sure, but then the probability of getting H or T in (1) must be 100%.

I believe that he simply mispoke in the statement for (1). P(H) = P(T) = 0.5 is what I assumed he meant.

1. What is an edge in a coin toss system?

An edge in a coin toss system refers to a slight advantage or bias towards one outcome in a series of coin tosses. This can be caused by factors such as the weight or shape of the coin, the force of the toss, or the surface it lands on.

2. How can I achieve an edge in a coin toss system?

Achieving an edge in a coin toss system is not possible through any intentional means. The outcome of a coin toss is based on random chance and cannot be manipulated or controlled.

3. Are there any strategies for improving my chances in a coin toss system?

No, there are no strategies or techniques that can improve your chances in a coin toss system. The outcome of each toss is independent of the previous toss and cannot be predicted or influenced.

4. Can a coin toss system be used for gambling?

Yes, coin tosses are often used in gambling games such as heads or tails. However, it is important to remember that the outcome of each toss is random and cannot be influenced.

5. Is there any scientific evidence to support the concept of an edge in a coin toss system?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of an edge in a coin toss system. The outcome of each toss is based on random chance and cannot be influenced by external factors.