Solve Pendulum Problem: Avg Horiz Speed of Gorilla in m/s

• Thread starter Quotexon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, to find the average horizontal speed of a gorilla swinging on vines, you can use the small angle approximation and the formula T=2π√(L/g). Taking the time of half a cycle and the distance traveled from 15 degrees on the left to 15 degrees on the right, you can calculate the average horizontal speed by dividing the distance by the time. There is no need to use the angular frequency (ω) in this scenario.
Quotexon

Homework Statement

A gorilla is swinging on vines. Each vine is 30 meters long and the gorilla catches each vine when it is at rest 15 degrees to the left of the (downwards) vertical, swings on it until it stops at an angle of 15 degrees to the right of vertical, and then grabs the next vine at rest and repeats the process.

What is the gorilla's average horizontal speed in m/s?

Details and assumptions
You may take g to be 9.8 m/s2.
You may treat the gorilla as a simple pendulum and use the small angle approximation.

Homework Equations

ω=[itex]\sqrt{}g/l[/itex]
T=2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sqrt{}L/g[/itex]
-gsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=d[itex]^{}2[/itex]s/dt[itex]^{}2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the acceleration in the direction of motion is -gsin[itex]\theta[/itex]=d[itex]^{}2[/itex]s/dt[itex]^{}2[/itex], i consider taking the integral of this to find the velocity and i sweep on the bounds from -pi/12 to pi/12 radians. I can then find the average velocity. My only concern is what they mean by "horizontal velocity". Also, how can omega be used in this scenario? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, sorry for the janky fonts. I'm new to the latex option.

Physics news on Phys.org
Average horizontal speed is just horizontal distance traveled divided by the time to travel that distance.

Can you find the time to swing from 15 degrees on the left to 15 degrees on the right?

Can you find the horizontal distance traveled when going from 15 degrees on the left to 15 degrees on the right?

No integration is necessary.

Would I do (2*30sin(15))/T where T = 2pi sqrt(l/g) or (2*30sin(15))*ω where ω= sqrt(g/l)?

Thanks

Last edited:
Quotexon said:
Would I do (2*30sin(15))/T where T = 2pi sqrt(l/g) or (2*30sin(15))*ω where ω= sqrt(g/l)?

Almost. What is the time to swing from the left over to the right? It's not T.

Would it be T/2, since T represents the time for a complete cycle?

hmm, but would ω have any relevance to the problem? Since it's units are s^-1, shouldn't it be equivalent to simply multiply the distance by the angular frequency?

Right, you want to use the time of half of a cycle. So, the time is T/2. You don't need to use ω. You can write T in terms of ω as T = 2π/ω, but there's no need to do that here.

Thanks very much, it makes perfect sense at this point! appreciate it!

1. What is the pendulum problem and why is it important?

The pendulum problem refers to the calculation of the average horizontal speed of a gorilla swinging on a vine. This problem is important because it helps us understand the principles of motion and forces, and how they apply to real-world scenarios.

2. How do you solve the pendulum problem?

To solve the pendulum problem, you will need to use the laws of physics, specifically the principles of motion and forces, to calculate the average horizontal speed of the gorilla. This involves understanding the length of the pendulum, the angle of the swing, and the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the average horizontal speed of the gorilla in the pendulum problem?

The average horizontal speed of the gorilla in the pendulum problem is affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the angle of the swing, the mass of the gorilla, and the force of gravity. These factors influence the speed of the gorilla's swing and must be taken into account when solving the problem.

4. Can the average horizontal speed of the gorilla be calculated accurately?

Yes, the average horizontal speed of the gorilla can be calculated accurately using the principles of motion and forces. However, this calculation may be affected by factors such as air resistance and the precision of measurement. It is important to use accurate and precise data to get an accurate calculation.

5. How can understanding the pendulum problem be applied in real life?

Understanding the pendulum problem can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as designing amusement park rides, analyzing the motion of athletes in sports, and calculating the speed of objects swinging on a rope or vine. It also helps us understand the laws of physics and how they apply to everyday situations.