What is the offset calculation for a curved rail road?

• Thread starter tomtomtom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, at D the two circles have a common tangent, and from D to C you need to insert a transition curve.
tomtomtom1
Hi all

I work on the rail roads and I am trying to solve a geometry problem which I was hoping someone could help me with.

My problem is this:-

I have a straight rail road. At point A trains can divert onto another road, the other road is curved with a radius (R1), the curvature of the road changes to R2.

If I was to continue to travel along the straight rail road then what would be the offset from some distance traveled along the straight (AB) to the top of the 2nd curve.

In simple terms how is offset BC calculated.

I’m not much of a math’s wiz so I could really use a hand. I have made a drawing to illustrate what I am trying to calculate.

I really want to understand where and how it is calculated.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks guys

Attachments

• Circle Problem.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 272
Engineering news on Phys.org
Would Pythagoras work?
CL2 = AB2 + BC2

.. BC= √(CL2-AB2)
(this is just a quick little stab at the problem).

I am assuming from your description that AB is tangent to the first circle at A.

The perpendicular offsets from a tangent to circular curve are given by

Offset = (length along tangent)2 / twice radius

This will get you as far as D.

At D I'm not sure what happens.

Are you saying that at D the two circles have a common tangent?

Or do you need to insert a transition curve between the circles?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=640859&highlight=offset

Last edited:
Thats correct at D both circles share a common tangent.

Studiot said:
I am assuming from your description that AB is tangent to the first circle at A.

The perpendicular offsets from a tangent to circular curve are given by

Offset = (length along tangent)2 / twice radius

This will get you as far as D.

At D I'm not sure what happens.

Are you saying that at D the two circles have a common tangent?

Or do you need to insert a transition curve between the circles?

So once you know where D is, you can use the same method to get to C.

1. What is the Geometry of Rail Road Problem?

The Geometry of Rail Road Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the shortest distance between two points on a grid-like network of railroad tracks. It is a classic optimization problem that has practical applications in the planning and design of railway networks.

2. How is the Geometry of Rail Road Problem solved?

The Geometry of Rail Road Problem is typically solved using graph theory and algorithms such as Dijkstra's algorithm or the A* search algorithm. These methods take into account the layout and connectivity of the railroad network and find the most efficient path between two given points.

3. What are the key factors that affect the Geometry of Rail Road Problem?

The key factors that affect the Geometry of Rail Road Problem include the layout and topology of the railroad network, the distance between the two points, and any constraints such as speed limits or one-way tracks. Other factors may also include the weight and length of trains and the curvature of tracks.

4. What are the real-world applications of the Geometry of Rail Road Problem?

The Geometry of Rail Road Problem has many real-world applications, including the planning and design of railway networks, scheduling of train routes, and optimization of freight and passenger transportation. It is also used in the simulation and analysis of train operations and to improve the efficiency and safety of railway systems.

5. How does the Geometry of Rail Road Problem differ from other optimization problems?

The Geometry of Rail Road Problem differs from other optimization problems in that it takes into account the unique constraints and characteristics of railroad networks, such as the fixed layout and connectivity of tracks and the limited movement of trains along the tracks. This requires specialized algorithms and techniques to find the most efficient solutions.