Ethane rotation at room temperature

In summary: RRK: Theory of Rotational Kinetic Energy</a> that may give a more accurate estimate for the velocity of isomerisation.
abinit
The energy available at room temperature is 0.593 kcal/mol (wikipedia) so why is it that Ethane is said to freely rotate from staggered to eclipse if it has a rotational energy barrier of 2.9 kcal/mol (wikipedia)? What am I missing here?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
abinit said:
The energy available at room temperature is 0.593 kcal/mol (wikipedia)

Energy available to what? No idea where does this number come from (it can have some sense, I just don't know).

0.593 kcal/mol is the average energy per degree of freedom. You always have some molecules with more and some with less energy.

He means kT at room temperature.
The rotation is certainly not a free rotation. However thermal energy at room temperature is enough to overcome the rotation barrier in a considerable fraction of the molecules so that interconversion of the conformers is very rapid.

Borek said:
Energy available to what? No idea where does this number come from (it can have some sense, I just don't know).

Thanks for the comment Borek, my question was not at all clear. My issue was with the commonly found comment "the barrier to rotation about the C-C bond in ethane is approximately 3 kcal/mol. This energy is easily accessible at room temperature." I want to know why this is easily accessible. I assume (although I have not seen this explicitly written in any of the examples I've read) that we are talking about ethane gas at room temperature.

- The driving force for rotation is found through collisions with other ethane molecules? Ethane has 3N degrees of freedom and so a total internal energy of 12kT ~ 7kcal/mol. So it is assumed that many collisions can transfer the required 3kcal/mol? Quick side question, the 3N degrees of freedom has three rotational (overall molecule) but what about internal rotation? Is this factored in?

- How would this picture change in solution? References for this would be greatly appreciated.

What is ethane rotation at room temperature?

Ethane rotation at room temperature refers to the ability of the molecule of ethane to rotate around its single bond at room temperature.

Why is ethane rotation at room temperature important?

Ethane rotation at room temperature is important because it affects the physical and chemical properties of the molecule, such as its boiling point, melting point, and reactivity.

How does ethane rotation at room temperature occur?

Ethane rotation at room temperature occurs due to the relatively low energy required to break the single bond between the carbon atoms in the molecule. This bond can easily rotate, resulting in different conformations of the molecule.

What are the different conformations of ethane due to rotation at room temperature?

The two main conformations of ethane due to rotation at room temperature are the staggered conformation, where the two methyl groups are as far apart as possible, and the eclipsed conformation, where the two methyl groups are directly on top of each other.

How does ethane rotation at room temperature affect its physical properties?

Ethane rotation at room temperature affects the physical properties of the molecule by altering its shape and intermolecular forces. For example, the eclipsed conformation has a higher potential energy and is less stable than the staggered conformation, resulting in a higher boiling point and melting point for ethane.