Bandwidth & Bitrate: Exploring the Connection

• Thread starter eetuz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bandwidth
In summary, the maximum bitrate in a bandlimited channel is typically twice the bandwidth, but this is not always the case. It depends on the type of signal being used and the coding techniques being employed. Shannon's formula is a more accurate way to determine the maximum bitrate in a channel.
eetuz
Hi all,
this question about bandwidth has been bugging me and I haven't been able to find an answer yet.
Im not so familiar with the topic so this might be some glitch in my thinking which I hope you guys could clarify:

Why is max bitrate in a channel two times its bandwidth? For example, if I have two different frequency "levels" in a FM signal for representing 0 and 1, how does the extra bandwidth give me more bits per second? As far as I understand, it enables me to have more signal levels to represent more different bit sequences such as 01 and 10, but how this works in this case where I only have two levels.

And does higher frequency automatically transfer to higher bitrate or is this all just about larger bandwidth in general?

Thanks, eetuz

Engineering news on Phys.org
The "max bitrate is twice the bandwidth" is a rule of thumb and not a law of nature. The max bitrate in a bandlimited channel is twice the bandwidth only with a non-return-to-zero signal with a specific pulse shape such as raised cosine. If you are modulating the data using Frequency Shift Keying (FSK), which is the method you describe, you channel will need MUCH larger bandwidth than 1/2 the bitrate.

In general, extra bandwidth enables higher bitrate because you can send more pulses. However, if you send coded data you can in fact have a much higher bitrate than the bandwidth.

For example, a 56 kb/s audio modem (from 10 years ago) signals over a telephone channel with a bandwidth of about 8 kHz. This is because the data are coded and not simply 1 or 0.

The real "Max bitrate" is given by Shannon's formula, not the "twice bandwidth" rule of thumb.

1. What is Bandwidth?

Bandwidth refers to the maximum amount of data that can be transmitted through a network or communication channel within a given amount of time. It is typically measured in bits per second (bps) or bytes per second (Bps).

2. How is Bandwidth related to Bitrate?

Bitrate is a measure of the amount of data that is transmitted per second, while bandwidth is the maximum capacity of the network or channel. Therefore, the higher the bandwidth, the higher the potential bitrate that can be achieved.

3. What factors affect Bandwidth and Bitrate?

There are several factors that can affect bandwidth and bitrate, including the type of network or communication channel being used, the amount of data being transmitted, and the quality of the connection.

4. How are Bandwidth and Bitrate important in data transfer?

Bandwidth and bitrate are crucial in determining the speed and efficiency of data transfer. Higher bandwidth and bitrate allow for faster and more efficient transfer of large amounts of data, while lower bandwidth and bitrate can result in slower and less efficient data transfer.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding Bandwidth and Bitrate?

Understanding bandwidth and bitrate is important in various fields, such as network engineering, telecommunications, video streaming, and data storage. It helps in optimizing data transfer and improving the overall performance of networks and communication systems.