Explaining gyroscopic precession with linear vectors?

In summary, Larry Gonick's explanation of gyroscopic precession is that the wheel resists movement because every point on the wheel has a linear velocity of a certain speed, and it would take a sufficient amount of force to change its direction.
jaydnul
For example, an explanation as to why a gyroscope resists movement is because every point on the wheel has a linear velocity of a certain speed and it would take a sufficient amount of force to change its direction.

So could you also explain gyroscopic PRECESSION using only the linear quantities? (Instead of angular quantities, like torque and angular momentum, like its usually explained).

Physics news on Phys.org
Larry Gonick has an explanation in the Cartoon Guide to Physics. You can see it on Google Books (or at least I can):

The Cartoon Guide to Physics - Larry Gonick - Google Books

Whether you buy this explanation is another question, of course. I believe the general idea behind the explanation is correct, even though there are some things in the diagrams that aren't.

Wow, eigenperson, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all your help tonight!

What is it about the diagram that you feel is incorrect? Seems legitimate to me (but what do I know)

Well, I'm not absolutely convinced those vectors are accurate depictions of the "flopping" forces. And there is a similar problem with the diagram that shows the resulting velocities (actually, that one I know is wrong, because if the sides of the wheel were moving with those velocities, it would rotate about a vertical axis passing through its own hub instead of an axis passing through the point of suspension).

Even if I'm right about these inaccuracies, I think the logic overall is correct. There's just a lot more detail than he shows.

Jd0g33 said:
For example, an explanation as to why a gyroscope resists movement is because every point on the wheel has a linear velocity of a certain speed and it would take a sufficient amount of force to change its direction.

So could you also explain gyroscopic PRECESSION using only the linear quantities? (Instead of angular quantities, like torque and angular momentum, like its usually explained).

Aside from the fact that this question appears to have some built-in wrong assumptions, it is a bit like asking if it is possible to explain a circle with only lines. The answer to both is "not very well".

At any rate, there is a good explanation of gyroscopes and precession at
http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html?pop=yes&pid=569#
Just make sure you enable pop-ups, otherwise you will not be able to see it.

1. How does gyroscopic precession work?

Gyroscopic precession is a phenomenon that describes the behavior of a spinning object when it is subjected to a force. When a spinning object is subjected to a force, it will experience a change in its axis of rotation. This change in axis of rotation is known as gyroscopic precession.

2. What is the importance of linear vectors in understanding gyroscopic precession?

Linear vectors are important in understanding gyroscopic precession because they help us visualize the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on a spinning object. By using linear vectors, we can better understand how these forces affect the object's axis of rotation and how it causes gyroscopic precession.

3. Can you explain the concept of angular momentum in relation to gyroscopic precession?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. In the case of gyroscopic precession, the spinning object has a large amount of angular momentum, which causes it to resist changes in its axis of rotation. This is why the spinning object experiences precession when subjected to a force.

4. What are some real-life examples of gyroscopic precession?

Gyroscopic precession can be observed in many everyday objects such as spinning tops, bicycles, and even helicopters. In fact, gyroscopic precession is used in gyroscopes to maintain the orientation of objects such as airplanes and ships.

5. How can understanding gyroscopic precession be useful in the field of science?

Understanding gyroscopic precession is important in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics. It helps us explain the behavior of spinning objects, which is crucial in designing and operating various machines and devices. Additionally, gyroscopic precession is also used in navigation and stabilization systems, making it a crucial concept in modern technology.