What's this weird thing I can do with my hand?

• Thread starter guysensei1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand Weird
In summary, the video demonstrates a person who is able to move their extensor tendon over their MCP joint by pressing their 4th finger onto their palm. This action does not cause any pain and it is believed to be due to the less developed sheath over the 5th and 4th digit extensor tendon.
guysensei1
Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHtIPbYK_EI

I have been able to do this for as long as I can remember, and only on my right hand.
The action that I do to trigger this thing involves pressing my 4th finger onto my palm.
Doing this doesn't hurt even if done continuously. Any ideas what this is?

Biology news on Phys.org
Looks to me like your moving the tendons from side to side over your knuckles?

hand_muscles.jpg

Greg is correct, you are moving your extensor tendon over your MCP joint. As you can see in Greg's picture the sheath over the 5th and 4th digit extensor tendon isn't as developed as the 2nd and 3rd digits. Yours seems to be loose enough you can move it back and fourth.

1. What is the scientific explanation behind my ability to wiggle my fingers independently?

The ability to independently move fingers is due to the complex network of muscles, tendons, and nerves in our hands. Each finger has its own set of muscles and tendons that allow it to move independently from the others. This skill is developed through practice and muscle memory.

2. Why can some people bend their fingers backwards?

The ability to bend fingers backwards is due to the elasticity of our joints and the flexibility of our ligaments. Some people may have more flexible ligaments, allowing them to bend their fingers backwards further than others. However, it is important to be cautious and not force your fingers beyond their natural range of motion to avoid injury.

3. What causes the popping sound when I crack my knuckles?

The popping sound when cracking knuckles is caused by the release of gas bubbles in the synovial fluid that surrounds our joints. When we pull on our fingers, the joint capsule expands, causing a decrease in pressure which allows these gas bubbles to escape, creating the popping sound.

4. Is it harmful to crack my knuckles or bend my fingers backwards?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that cracking knuckles or bending fingers backwards is harmful. However, excessive cracking or bending may cause temporary discomfort or soreness. It is important to listen to your body and not push your fingers beyond their natural range of motion to avoid injury.

5. Can everyone learn to do the same weird thing with their hand?

Everyone has a unique and complex network of muscles, tendons, and nerves in their hands, making everyone's abilities different. Some people may naturally have more flexibility or control in their fingers, while others may have to work harder to develop these skills. With practice and dedication, many people can learn to do the same weird thing with their hand, but it may vary in degree of difficulty.