What is the smallest possible sum for a labeled 63-gon?

• Thread starter Numeriprimi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation involved a person seeking help with a problem from a Mathematical Olympiad. The problem was to assign numbers to the vertices and sides of a regular 63-gon in order to minimize the sum of all the numbers on the sides while following certain constraints. The solution to the problem is to have 30 sides with different numbers on the vertices and 33 sides with the same number on each vertex. The smallest possible value of this sum is 3.
Numeriprimi
Hello.
When I was in Mathematical Olympiad in our district, I got a example which I can not solve :-(
Now, I am very interested in, how to do it. I don't know, my brother - teacher don't know, my friends don't know. I think you can solve it :-) Can you help me? It isn't my homework and I really don't know how to do it easily (don't draw a 63-gon :-D)

To each of vertexes of regular 63-gon assign one of the numbers 1 or -1.
To each of his sides ascribe the product of numbers of her boundaring vertexes. Then add all numbers at sides. What is the smallest possible non.negative value of this sum?

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad English.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This wouldn't have been an IMO question.

You have [itex]d[/itex] edges with different numbers on the vertices (product =-1) and [itex]s[/itex] edges with the same number on each vertex (product =1), and you're constrained to have
- [itex]s+d=63[/itex];
- [itex]d[/itex] an even number (because of the cyclical arrangement);
- [itex]d\leq s[/itex].
You want to make [itex]s-d[/itex] as small as possible, subject to the above constraints, i.e. [tex]\min_{d\in\{0,...,63\}} [(63-d) - d] \text{ subject to } d \text{ even}, \enspace d\leq 63 -d.[/tex] It's straightforward to check that the solution to the above problem is 3.

Indeed, the constraints require that [itex]d[/itex] be an even number which is [itex]\leq 31.5[/itex], the largest such number being [itex]30[/itex]. Since minimizing [itex]63-2d[/itex] just amounts to maximizing [itex]d[/itex], the above problem is solved by [itex]d=30[/itex], which yields [itex]s-d=33-30=3[/itex].

If you want an example of a labeling that attains this, try labeling the vertices [itex]((1,1,-1,-1)^{15},1,1,1)[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of a 63-gon?

The formula for finding the sum of the interior angles of any n-sided polygon is (n-2)180 degrees. Therefore, for a 63-gon, the sum of its interior angles would be (63-2)180 = 11040 degrees.

2. How many sides does a 63-gon have?

A 63-gon has 63 sides, as the prefix "63" indicates the number of sides in a polygon.

3. Can the sum of a 63-gon be negative?

No, the sum of the interior angles of any polygon, including a 63-gon, cannot be negative. Angles are measured in degrees and cannot have a negative value.

4. Is there a shortcut to finding the sum of a 63-gon?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to find the sum of the interior angles of a regular polygon, which includes a 63-gon. This formula is n(n-2)180 divided by 2, where n represents the number of sides in the polygon. For a 63-gon, the formula would be (63(63-2)180)/2 = 11040 degrees.

5. How does the sum of a 63-gon compare to other polygons?

The sum of the interior angles of a polygon is directly proportional to the number of sides of the polygon. This means that the more sides a polygon has, the larger the sum of its interior angles will be. Therefore, the sum of a 63-gon (11040 degrees) would be greater than the sum of a 30-gon (4680 degrees) and smaller than the sum of a 100-gon (17640 degrees).