Why Does OH- Have a Negative Charge?

In summary, the hydroxide ion (OH-) has a negative charge because it needs an additional electron to satisfy the octet rule and become stable. Without this extra electron, it would become a hydroxide radical and lose its negative charge. While radicals can sometimes be neutral, in the case of hydroxide, it needs a negative charge to maintain stability.
andyrk
Why does the hydroxide ion have a negative charge? , i.e OH-?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Because if not, it would be a hydroxide radical and not an ion?

Think octet rule and lewis dot structures... you need one more electron to make the oxygen stable, so it has a 1- charge.

andyrk said:
The simplest way for explaining this is this:
O2-+H+=(OH)- (It's actually (OH)-)

This is not stable(Stable form is H2O)

Here H+ Cancels out one electron of O2-

So one electron is left.Therefore it is left with a negative charge
-2+1=-1
:wink:

andyrk said:

Count the number of protons and number of electron in the ion.
With reference to what Drdu said: ions are charged, radicals are neutral.
:smile:chemistry sometimes overcomplicates things to simplify them...

Enigman said:
Count the number of protons and number of electron in the ion.
With reference to what Drdu said: ions are charged, radicals are neutral.
:smile:chemistry sometimes overcomplicates things to simplify them...

Radicals need not always be neutral.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2644638/

Also you can have stuff like the superoxide anion which is a anion radical. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superoxide

Plenty of examples around, these are just off the top of my head.

Yanick said:
Radicals need not always be neutral.

See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2644638/

Also you can have stuff like the superoxide anion which is a anion radical. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superoxide

Plenty of examples around, these are just off the top of my head.

Sorry for not being clearer, I was talking about hydroxyl radicals which DrDu mentioned rather than radicals in general.
As for the definition of radical I believe the only prerequisite is having an unpaired electron/ incompletely filled valence shell and the species in question may be an atom, ion or a molecule.

1. Why does OH- have a negative charge?

The negative charge of OH- is due to the presence of one extra electron on the molecule. This extra electron is acquired when a hydrogen atom is removed from a water molecule (H2O), leaving behind a hydroxide ion (OH-). This extra electron gives the molecule a negative charge.

2. What makes OH- a negatively charged ion?

OH- is a negatively charged ion, also known as an anion, because it has more electrons than protons. This imbalance in the number of positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons results in a net negative charge for the ion.

3. How does OH- gain its negative charge?

OH- gains its negative charge through a process called dissociation. In water, a small percentage of water molecules will naturally split into H+ ions and OH- ions. This is due to the polarity of the water molecule and the attraction between the slightly positive hydrogen atom and the slightly negative oxygen atom. The OH- ion gains its negative charge from the extra electron that was originally part of the water molecule.

4. Why is OH- considered a base?

OH- is considered a base because it is capable of accepting a proton (H+) from an acid, thereby neutralizing the acid. This is due to the presence of a lone pair of electrons on the oxygen atom, which can readily bond with a proton. When OH- accepts a proton, it forms water (H2O) and the negative charge is neutralized.

5. Can OH- exist without a negative charge?

No, OH- cannot exist without a negative charge. The negative charge is an essential part of the molecule's structure and is responsible for its chemical properties. Removing the extra electron would result in a different molecule, such as water (H2O) or hydroxyl radical (OH), which have different properties and reactivity.