Questions on Proton Beam Experiment at CERN

In summary: It's just a flag in the data set.In summary, a proposal for an experiment with a proton beam at CERN for a contest has been made. The specifications of the beam and available devices for detecting particles have also been provided. Several questions about the beam and its workings were asked, including the purpose of different target heads, the function of Cherenkov counters, the use of collimators to filter particles, and the meaning of "flagging" a particle with the Halo counter. The answers revealed that collisions in the target will produce all particles mentioned, Cherenkov counters help identify particles based on their velocity, collimators cannot filter particles but can help identify them, and "flagging" with the Halo counter simply marks a particle in the
Frigorifico
Hello everybody.

I am going to propose an experiment with a proton beam at CERN for a contest. http://home.web.cern.ch/students-educators/spotlight/2013/competition-beam-line-schools.
Also http://home.web.cern.ch/sites/home.web.cern.ch/files/information_about_the_t9_beam_line_and_experimental_facilities.pdf are the specifications of the beam and available devices for detecting the particles.

However I have several questions about the beam working.

1.-At "Target" is says: "There are different target heads available, allowing different electron components of the beam".
Does it mean that the beam will always shoot electrons and not protons?, does it shoot electrons and protons?, depending on the target head, can it shoot only protons?

2.-About the Cherenkov counter
What I understood of the Cherenkov counters is that they are like particle filters, am I right?, and if so, how can I know what kind of particles specifically can it filter?

3.-Collimator:
The Collimator can filter particles by their momentum and angle, I got that, but then can it be used to filter different kinds of particles?, I think it can but I am not sure, because as the particles are generated it may be possible to know which kinds of particles will have which values of momentum and inclination. Is that right?

4.-What does it mean to "flag" a particle?, as it says that the Halo counter can do

Thanks a lot for your answers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This does not look like quantum physics. I moved the thread to our particle physics forum - this is not a final decision, the thread could get moved again. The url will stay the same, and you can always find the thread via your control panel or a search for your own posts.

Concerning your questions:
1. Collisions in the target will always produce all particles mentioned there. The fraction of electrons in the extracted beam depends on the target. Heavy elements tend to produce more electrons and positrons due to Bremsstrahlung and pair production.

2. They do not filter, they just help to identify the particles. You still get all particles, but in the data analysis you can tell which particle was which type (not with 100% accuracy, however). They detect the velocity of particles. Together with the momentum (which you can set via the magnets), this allows an estimate of the mass of the particles. Electrons are very light, pions and muons are much heavier, kaons are a bit heavier than pions and protons are the heaviest particles you'll get. The antiparticles always have the same mass as the particles.
Muons can be identified with the muon filter there, separating pions and kaons is a bit tricky, for the other particles the separation should be reasonable (but I don't know how good the two detectors are).

but then can it be used to filter different kinds of particles?
No.
because as the particles are generated it may be possible to know which kinds of particles will have which values of momentum and inclination.
That is not possible. The collisions are random processes.

Pions will be the most frequent particles, probably followed by kaons and protons, and muons should be quite rare. Electrons will be somewhere in between, depending on the target material.

4. The recorded data gets an entry "halo counter saw a particle at the same time" if that happens.

1. What is the purpose of the Proton Beam Experiment at CERN?

The Proton Beam Experiment at CERN is designed to study the behavior and properties of proton beams in high-energy particle collisions. It aims to provide insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them.

2. How does the Proton Beam Experiment at CERN work?

The experiment involves accelerating protons to extremely high energies using powerful magnets and accelerating structures. These protons are then collided with other particles, producing a shower of new particles that can be studied by detectors surrounding the collision point.

3. What are the potential applications of the Proton Beam Experiment at CERN?

The results of this experiment could have implications for various fields of physics, including nuclear physics, particle physics, and cosmology. It could also contribute to the development of new technologies, such as medical imaging and cancer treatment using proton beams.

4. How long has the Proton Beam Experiment been running at CERN?

The Proton Beam Experiment at CERN has been running since 2009, with a brief pause in operations from 2013 to 2015 for upgrades and maintenance. It is expected to continue operating for many more years, with plans for further upgrades in the future.

5. What have been some of the major discoveries from the Proton Beam Experiment at CERN?

One of the most significant discoveries from this experiment has been the observation of the Higgs boson particle in 2012, which confirmed the existence of the Higgs field and provided a crucial piece of evidence for the Standard Model of particle physics. Other notable discoveries include the study of quark-gluon plasma and the search for dark matter particles.