Is it Possible to Flash Freeze the Human Brain and Send it into Space?

In summary, The conversation discusses the possibility of sending a deceased person's brain into space in a radiation proof container, with the hope of it being discovered and potentially restored by an alien race in the future. The main concern is whether the brain would decay or melt during its journey through space, with a specific focus on the temperature in space (approximately 2.7K). The potential for sublimation is also mentioned. Ultimately, the feasibility of this idea is questioned.
Chase
I've seen online that you can get a handful of your ashes sent into space for a hefty fee1 and it got me thinking... Would it be possible when dead to flash freeze the brain and send it up into space in a radiation proof container and just allow it to travel through space like the voyagers do?

Or would it eventually melt and decay ect? The reason I ask is because when you're dead, your dead as far as we know so I thought what is there to lose if someone wanted to send their brain into space and who knows, in a billion years an alien race might find it, defrost it without damaging it and somehow restore it or transfer it's memories onto a computer or something.

Obviously this seems somewhat farfetched and probably impossible but I thought I was ask why this would or wouldn't be possible. The biggest concern is the brain defrosting over time.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the temperature in space?

Borek said:
What is the temperature in space?

~2.7K so I'm guessing it won't melt but is 2.7K cold enough so that decay won't occur?

Chase said:
~2.7K so I'm guessing it won't melt but is 2.7K cold enough so that decay won't occur?

Yes, what you have to worry about is sublimation.

I find this idea intriguing and thought-provoking. While it may seem like a farfetched concept, there are a few scientific considerations to take into account when discussing the possibility of flash freezing a brain and sending it into space.

Firstly, the human brain is a complex and delicate organ that requires a constant supply of oxygen and nutrients to function properly. When a person dies, their brain cells begin to die off quickly due to lack of oxygen and blood flow. This process is irreversible and leads to the decay of brain tissue.

Flash freezing, also known as cryopreservation, is a technique used to preserve biological materials at very low temperatures. However, it is typically used for smaller samples such as cells or tissues, and has not yet been successfully applied to an entire human brain. The process of freezing and thawing can cause damage to cells, including brain cells, due to the formation of ice crystals which can rupture cell membranes.

Additionally, sending a brain into space would expose it to high levels of radiation, which can also cause damage to cells and tissues. While radiation-proof containers do exist, it is unclear if they could protect a brain from the intense radiation found in space.

Even if a brain were successfully frozen and protected from radiation, the extreme temperatures and conditions in space would likely cause it to eventually thaw and decay. The voyager spacecrafts are equipped with heaters to prevent their instruments from freezing in the cold of space, and a brain would not have this protection.

Furthermore, the idea of an alien race finding a frozen brain in space and being able to revive it or transfer its memories onto a computer is highly speculative. While we do not know what forms of life may exist beyond our planet, it is unlikely that they would have the technology or understanding to revive a frozen brain from another species.

In conclusion, while the concept of sending a frozen brain into space may be intriguing, it is currently not a feasible or scientifically sound idea. The delicate nature of the brain and the harsh conditions of space make it unlikely that a frozen brain could survive and potentially be revived by an alien race. Instead, our focus should be on understanding and preserving the brain while it is alive and functioning.

1. What is flash freezing the brain?

Flash freezing the brain refers to the process of rapidly freezing the brain tissue using liquid nitrogen or other cryogenic substances. This technique is used to preserve the brain for future scientific study or medical purposes.

2. How does flash freezing preserve the brain?

Flash freezing preserves the brain by rapidly cooling the tissue, which prevents the formation of ice crystals that can damage the delicate structures of the brain. It also slows down the biochemical reactions that occur after death, preserving the cells and tissues for future analysis.

3. What are the potential uses of flash freezing the brain?

Flash freezing the brain has several potential uses, including research on neurological diseases and disorders, studying brain development and function, and potentially even preserving and reviving the brain in the future for medical purposes.

4. Is flash freezing the brain currently being used in scientific research?

Yes, flash freezing the brain is currently being used in scientific research, particularly in the field of neuroscience. This technique allows scientists to study the brain in its natural state, without the changes that occur during traditional methods of preservation.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding flash freezing the brain?

There are some ethical concerns surrounding flash freezing the brain, particularly in regards to the potential for future revival and the implications for personal identity. However, strict guidelines and regulations are in place to ensure that this technique is used responsibly and with proper consent.