Point dividing a line segment (externally)

• Thread starter kashan123999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Point
In summary, the conversation was about the concept of dividing a line externally and understanding it intuitively. The conversation included a request for an explanation in simple terms and a discussion about the definition of external ratios. Ultimately, the concept was clarified and understood by the individual.
kashan123999
I am just not able to connect this concept with my mind,i mean how is it possible to divide a line externally when the point is beyond the line..can anyone explain it intuitively in simple terms kindly? I am not able to grasp it clearly

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need a precise definition.
divide a line externally

mathman said:
You need a precise definition.

no,actually I need an intuitive look into the concept maybe...

kashan123999 said:
no,actually I need an intuitive look into the concept maybe...

What mathman is saying:
It's not clear what your original post means. If you want some guidance, being more precise will help.

economicsnerd said:
What mathman is saying:
It's not clear what your original post means. If you want some guidance, being more precise will help.

I think i was quite precise sir...
There is an idea in my textbook regarding "point dividing a join of two points in a given ratio" so there in it is written if the point which divides the join of two points,lies beyond the join say AB...then it actually divides the points in ratios "externally"...i could not grasp this idea i mean how is it possible that a line divides in ratio externally

kashan123999 said:
I think i was quite precise sir...
There is an idea in my textbook regarding "point dividing a join of two points in a given ratio" so there in it is written if the point which divides the join of two points,lies beyond the join say AB...then it actually divides the points in ratios "externally"...i could not grasp this idea i mean how is it possible that a line divides in ratio externally
This is not at all clear, possibly as a result of being translated to English from some other language.

I think I understand part of it - "point dividing a join of two points in a given ratio". I infer that "join of two points" in your book means the line segment between the two points. If we call the two points A and B, we can call this line segment AB. If P is a point on this line segment, it divides the line segment into two parts that are in some ratio. For example, if P is located at 1/3 of the distance from A to B, then the ratio of AP to PB is 1:2 or 1/2.

With regard to the part about external ratios, I can only guess as to what is meant. For simplicity, let's assume that the points are on the real line, with A at 1 and B at 3. So the line segment AB lies between 1 and 3. If P is at 4, then |AP| = 3 and |PB| = 1. So the ratio of the two line segments is 3:1, and P is a point that is external to AB. Is this anywhere close to what your book is talking about?

Mark44 said:
This is not at all clear, possibly as a result of being translated to English from some other language.
I think I understand part of it - "point dividing a join of two points in a given ratio". I infer that "join of two points" in your book means the line segment between the two points. If we call the two points A and B, we can call this line segment AB. If P is a point on this line segment, it divides the line segment into two parts that are in some ratio. For example, if P is located at 1/3 of the distance from A to B, then the ratio of AP to PB is 1:2 or 1/2.
With regard to the part about external ratios, I can only guess as to what is meant. For simplicity, let's assume that the points are on the real line, with A at 1 and B at 3. So the line segment AB lies between 1 and 3. If P is at 4, then |AP| = 3 and |PB| = 1. So the ratio of the two line segments is 3:1, and P is a point that is external to AB. Is this anywhere close to what your book is talking about?

Yes thanks this is what i was talking About,i couldn't grasp that concept of having a ratio when the point which is dividing the line lies at,say in your case,4 on real line...kindly help me through it

What part of my explanation did you not understand?

Likes 1 person
Actually in my book it talks about external ratio of the same line (AB in your case) and the point which divides them in some ratio k:k, lies beyond that line..I couldn't grasp it how it is an "external" ratio,i mean that would make it completely different (TO me IMHO and i an dumb TBH),it would sense like ratio b/w line AP and BP...and not like the ratio b/w A(a point) and B(same point)...BUT...wait..aah now i got that...thank you btw :) i got the idea of having ratio of the line...i was actually focusing more on "dividing thing" and was constantly thinking that it is only possible when the point which divides them lies "only" b/w them..now i got that.. thank you mate :)

1. What is the concept of point dividing a line segment externally?

The concept of point dividing a line segment externally involves finding a point outside the line segment that divides it into two parts in a given ratio. This point is called the external point of division and is denoted by a letter, such as P in the ratio AP:PB.

2. How do you find the external point of division on a line segment?

To find the external point of division, you can use the external division formula: AP/PB = m/n, where m and n are the given ratio and AP and PB are the lengths of the segments created by the point P. This formula can also be used to find the coordinates of the external point of division on a coordinate plane.

3. What is the difference between internal and external point division?

The main difference between internal and external point division is the position of the dividing point. Internal point division involves finding a point inside the line segment that divides it in a given ratio, while external point division involves finding a point outside the line segment that divides it in a given ratio.

4. Can the external point of division be located at any position on the line?

No, the external point of division can only be located at a specific position on the line segment. This point must be outside the line segment and between the endpoints of the line segment.

5. How is the concept of external point division used in real-life applications?

The concept of external point division is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and surveying. It helps in determining the location of a point on a line segment with a given ratio, which is useful in constructing structures, designing roads, and creating maps.