Unit Vector

by JasonHathaway
Tags: unit, vector
JasonHathaway
Feb13-14, 01:36 PM
P: 60
Hi everyone,

Just wanna know how does the the unit vector become in that form:

[itex]\vec{n}=\frac{2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{(2x)^{2}+(2y)^{2}}}=\frac{x \vec{i}+y \vec{j}}{4}[/itex]
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
olivermsun
Feb13-14, 02:54 PM
P: 498
Check your definition of "unit vector."
JasonHathaway
Feb13-14, 04:05 PM
As far as I know, the unit vector or the normal vector is the vector divided by its magnitude.

But that's not what I need to know, what I need to know is the manipulation that occurred.

[itex]\vec{n}=\frac{2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{(2x)^{2}+(2y)^{2}}}=\frac{2(x \vec{i}+y\vec{j})}{\sqrt{4(x^{2}+y^{2}})}=\frac{2(x \vec{i}+y\vec{j})}{2\sqrt{(x^{2}+y^{2}})}=\frac{x \vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}[/itex]

That's my best. :Z

mathman
Feb13-14, 04:09 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,941

Unit Vector

Quote Quote by JasonHathaway View Post
As far as I know, the unit vector or the normal vector is the vector divided by its magnitude.

But that's not what I need to know, what I need to know is the manipulation that occurred.

[itex]\vec{n}=\frac{2x\vec{i}+2y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{(2x)^{2}+(2y)^{2}}}=\frac{2(x \vec{i}+y\vec{j})}{\sqrt{4(x^{2}+y^{2}})}=\frac{2(x \vec{i}+y\vec{j})}{2\sqrt{(x^{2}+y^{2}})}=\frac{x \vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}[/itex]

That's my best. :Z
Derivation is correct.
JasonHathaway
Feb13-14, 04:44 PM
But how did it end up like this form: [itex]\frac{x \vec{i}+y \vec{j}}{4}[/itex]

And I've found something similar in Thomas Calculus:

Is [itex]y^{2} + z^{2}[/itex] equal to 1 or something? much like [itex]sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta = 1 [/itex]
olivermsun
Feb13-14, 06:01 PM
You're looking for "the" unit normal vector. Normal to what?
JasonHathaway
Feb14-14, 03:35 AM
Normal to the surface [itex]2x+3y+6z=12[/itex]
olivermsun
Feb14-14, 06:40 AM
Okay, but clearly that isn't where the gradient in the original post came from. So if you want to know what happened in post #3 (why x2 + y2 = 1) then you need to state the original problem.
JasonHathaway
Feb14-14, 07:41 AM
Sorry, that's not the correct surface, but the surface is [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=16[/itex].
But I think I've got the idea:
[itex]\vec{n}=\frac{x\vec{i}+y \vec{j}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}=\frac{x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{\sqrt{16}}=\frac{ x\vec{i}+y\vec{j}}{4}[/itex]

right?
olivermsun
Feb14-14, 08:06 AM

Register to reply