Today (April 18, 2005) 50th anniversary of Einstein's death

• Thread starter PhysicsFan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, the front page of the Montreal Gazette features a large picture of the cardinals discussing the pope election, while the anniversary of Einstein's death is relegated to the second page.
Physics news on Phys.org
Most people have no idea how Einstein changed their everyday lives in ways they can't even imagine.

What's sad, however, is this: on the front page of the Montreal Gazette today is a huge picture of the cardinals with news about the pope election; meanwhile, the anniversary of Einstein's death is on the second page, way down at the bottom, in a little square, barely mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't "anniversary" equal to "Fest"(Ger.),as in a joyful celebration?Should we COMMEMORATE Einstein's death,or celebrate it...?:rolleyes:

Daniel.

My dictionary gives two definitions of anniversary, both a purely chronological one and the celebration one. I meant the former.

dextercioby said:
Isn't "anniversary" equal to "Fest"(Ger.),as in a joyful celebration?Should we COMMEMORATE Einstein's death,or celebrate it...?:rolleyes:

Daniel.

I think its traditional to celebrate a birthday of a man, and ''remember a man for who they were'' on their death date.

Einstine was a great man (whom I wish to speak to if I can just figure out v > c travel roflmfao) when it came to physics.

Last edited:
eNathan said:
Einstine was a great man (whom I wish to speak to if I can just figure out v > c travel roflmfao) when it came to physics.

wouldnt we all

dextercioby said:

"Anniversary" is purely chronological.

Anniversary is not.It has double sense,as any dictionary would show.

Daniel.

I concede; however, I don't find "celebration" inherently implied by "anniversary". Just as we can celebrate an anniversary, so can we commemorate it.

Icebreaker said:
Most people have no idea how Einstein changed their everyday lives in ways they can't even imagine.

What's sad, however, is this: on the front page of the Montreal Gazette today is a huge picture of the cardinals with news about the pope election; meanwhile, the anniversary of Einstein's death is on the second page, way down at the bottom, in a little square, barely mentioned.

Well, it is a newspaper, not an oldspaper!

jdavel said:
Well, it is a newspaper, not an oldspaper!

What does this mean? I do think they should have gave Einstine a larger article and maybe a short bio. I wounder where he is now :rolleyes:

1. What is the significance of April 18, 2005?

April 18, 2005 marks the 50th anniversary of Albert Einstein's death. Einstein was a renowned physicist and is best known for his theory of relativity.

2. How did Einstein's death impact the scientific community?

Einstein's death was a huge loss for the scientific community. He was a pioneer in the field of physics and his theories have greatly influenced our understanding of the universe.

3. What was Einstein's most famous contribution to science?

Einstein's most famous contribution to science is his theory of relativity. This theory revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and gravity and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

4. How did Einstein's work continue to impact science after his death?

Einstein's work continues to have a significant impact on science even after his death. His theories have been applied in various fields, such as cosmology and particle physics, and have led to new discoveries and advancements in technology.

5. How is Einstein remembered today?

Einstein is remembered as one of the greatest scientists of all time. His name has become synonymous with genius and his work continues to be studied and celebrated by scientists and the general public alike.