Word Game: Language-Related Clues and Lingustic Q&A

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, Word Game is an interactive game that utilizes language-related clues and linguistic questions to challenge players' knowledge and understanding of words and language. The game is designed to improve vocabulary and language skills through fun and engaging gameplay. In addition to the gameplay, players can also participate in linguistic Q&A sessions to further enhance their understanding of language and its nuances. With its unique blend of entertainment and education, Word Game is a great way to sharpen one's linguistic abilities.
selfAdjoint said:
Could it be secrete?
Yep! The honor is yours...

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
Yep! The honor is yours...

Just a quicky, stuck speedy.

How about "fast"

turbo-1 said:
How about "fast"

Absolutely right! Your turn.

Here's another:

stinky order

hint: grade

hint: put a comma between "stinky" and "order"

I don't really know what you're looking for, but does it have something to do with rank?

Rank is the word. You're on deck.

Woohoo! Okay, try this one.

In this language, English speakers might refer to themselves with disgust if they mispronounce this sound. (So what's the language and one of the names of the sound?)

How about "Feh!" = Yiddish interjection.

turbo-1 said:
How about "Feh!" = Yiddish interjection.
No, but that's interesting. The sound I'm thinking of is part of a very common word that literally refers to the person who says it.

It's a Germanic language.

English speakers might refer to themselves with disgust if they mispronounce this sound.
This is confusing to me. If it's a sound, I am guessing that means one syllable? :confused:

Then how can one refer to oneself with disgust in one syllable.

I can think of something like 'blech', but I am probably in the wrong direction.

or do you mean 'Ich' (Deutsch) pronounced as 'Ick'?

Astronuc said:
or do you mean 'Ich' (Deutsch) pronounced as 'Ick'?
Yep, I was thinking of the voiceless palatal fricative [ç] in the German word ich (I) being pronounced as a [k], giving English ick. Several things seem to come together to make it a common mistake. I just made (and am still making when not careful) the mistake myself. :biggrin:

Your turn. :smile:

Last edited:
It might be the Neo-Norwegian "Eg" (which means "I") (It is pronounced roughly as "egg", but with a long vowel)

With one endowed, one can build it and support an Empire.

Can I support an umpire with that endowment as well?

I am sure one could.

Peace!

10 char limit

Lisa! said:
Peace!
10 char limit
That would work, but that is not the word. I was thinking of something more in terms of substance or material.

Astronuc said:
With one endowed, one can build it and support an Empire.
This is too difficult.
You can be endowed with an inheritance, dowry, or other things.

But what help is it in any of this in order to build&support an Empire?? :confused:

Financial endowment.

How about "Foundation"?

That's it! You're up turbo.

chanter sound

turbo-1 said:
chanter sound

Umm, pipe? As in a chanter is the melody pipe of a bagpipe, and to pipe up is to make a sound?

yes, it was too easy maybe, but it's one of my favorite words... what is it?

"pipe up" is kind of close, but no cigar...

Last edited:
It's a single syllable word, with a pronuciation suggestive of the sound it describes.

The only one I can think of is "om" or "aum".

This is probably a give-away, but it is a synonym of pipe.

A single syllable word, with a pronuciation suggestive of the sound it describes, and which is synonomous with pipe?!

Still the only word besides 'om', which sounds like a chanting sound would be 'hum', but I don't think that necessarily is synonymous with 'pipe'.

selfAdjoint was soooooooo close, I thought he had it.

Evidently, it is didgeridoo; that's a one syllable word.

arildno said:
Evidently, it is didgeridoo; that's a one syllable word.
I guess it's one syllable if you've had enough Aussie brews, and those things look a lot like pipes.

The word has five letters and is but one letter removed from the name of a piece of women's clothing.