Can the passenger catch the train if the platform is long enough?

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether a late passenger sprinting at 8.0m/s can catch a train that is 30.0m away from the rear end of the train when it starts moving with an acceleration of 1.0m/s^2. The approach to solving this problem is to find the positions of both the passenger and train as functions of time and determine if there is a time when both positions are equal.
cocoavi
Mmmm if it's not too much of a problem could someone help me with the following question?:

A late passenger sprinting at 8.0m/s is 30.0m away from the rear end of a train when it starts out of the station with an acceleration of 1.0m/s^2. Can the passenger catch the train if the platform is long enough?

THX!

Physics news on Phys.org
well, he's pretty far from it, but already going fast. The train's not too quick.

You're SUPPOSED to tell us what you've already done, and how you're thinking about this situation (see "sticky" thread at the top)

I'm sorry I know I should be telling what I've already done.. but I just don't think I'm doing it right and I've just been taking random equations and working on them..~ well.. I did d=vit + 0.5at^2 + 30... to make d=0.5t^2 +30 for the train.. but I have no idea why I did that T_T..

there are several ways to answer this question, each approach valid, so
we want to "guide" you in an approach that "makes sense" to you already.

If you try to catch a train (or anything else!) it is nice to know where it is.
It is also nice to know where YOU are. So, where is this fast runner?

Try rephrasing the question. It asks you whether the passenger can catch the train. That is equivalent to asking if at any time the positions of the passenger and the train are the same. So, now you know what to do. You must write both the positions as functions of time. How does the position of both the passengers depend on time? Is there any value of t for which both the functions give the same position?

1. Can the passenger catch the train if the platform is longer than the train?

No, the length of the train does not affect the ability of the passenger to catch it. The important factor is the distance between the passenger and the train when it arrives at the platform.

2. How long does the platform need to be for the passenger to catch the train?

The length of the platform does not determine whether or not the passenger can catch the train. The speed of the train and the distance between the passenger and the train when it arrives at the platform are the determining factors.

3. Will the train slow down if the platform is longer?

No, the train will maintain its speed regardless of the length of the platform. Trains are designed to maintain a constant speed for the duration of their journey.

4. Do longer platforms affect train schedules?

Not necessarily. Train schedules are based on the distance between stations and the expected travel time. The length of the platform does not significantly impact the schedule.

5. Are longer platforms safer for passengers?

While longer platforms can provide more space for passengers to move around, the safety of a platform depends on various factors such as crowd control, train speed, and maintenance. The length of the platform alone does not determine its level of safety.