Integro-differential equation

• Thread starter goulio
  • Start date
In summary, the equation given is an integro-differential equation used to describe the density distribution of the atmosphere of a planet. The constant a is determined by physical properties such as gravitational constant, gas particle's mass, and temperature. The equation is solved for f(x), the gas density, for x > R. The temperature is assumed to be constant and f(R) is needed to solve the problem.
goulio
I have the following equation to solve
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx} = -a\frac{f(x)}{x^2}\left (\int_R^r u f(u) du - b \right )
[/tex]
with the boundary condition [itex]f(\infty)=0[/itex].

Any help greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
goulio said:
I have the following equation to solve
[tex]
\frac{df}{dx} = -a\frac{f(x)}{x^2}\left (\int_R^r u f(u) du - b \right )
[/tex]
with the boundary condition [itex]f(\infty)=0[/itex].
Any help greatly appreciated.

You know Goulio, I shall propose to you that you solve this equation by not solving it. Does that sound odd? Unless someone proposes a direct approach, I would recommend we consider simpler ones first:

[tex]f^{'}=-f(x)\int_0^1 uf(u)du;\quad f(0)=0[/tex]

[tex]f^{'}=-f(x)\int_0^x uf(u)du;\quad f(0)=0[/tex]

[tex]f^{'}=-xf(x)\int_0^x uf(u)du;\quad f(0)=0[/tex]

[tex]f^{'}=-\frac{f(x)}{x}\int_0^x uf(u)du;\quad f(1)=0[/tex]

. . . and so on until you gradually build up to the one you seek.

And I'm not proud: I would resort to numerical methods in a heartbeat. You know that some IDEs are handled nicely by a modified version of Runge-Kutta right? Just keep a running tally of the developing integral and add it to the results at every step.

Last edited:
Since [tex]\int_R^r uf(u)du[/tex] is a definite integral, it is a constant.

Start by letting [tex]A= \int_R^r uf(u)du- b[/tex]
and solving the equation [tex]\frac{df}{dx}= -\frac{aA}{x^2}f[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
Since [tex]\int_R^r uf(u)du[/tex] is a definite integral, it is a constant.
Start by letting [tex]A= \int_R^r uf(u)du- b[/tex]
and solving the equation [tex]\frac{df}{dx}= -\frac{aA}{x^2}f[/tex].

Thanks Hall. That's very helpful.:smile:

This is a continuation of a conversation goulio and I were having yesterday and unfortunately he has just copied the equation wrong. What he really wants to solve (even if he doesn't know it :wink: ) is the integro-differential equation
[tex]
\frac{d f}{dx} = - a \frac{f}{x^2} \left( 4\pi \int^x_R du\,u^2 f(u) + M \right).
[/tex]

Physics Monkey said:
This is a continuation of a conversation goulio and I were having yesterday and unfortunately he has just copied the equation wrong. What he really wants to solve (even if he doesn't know it :wink: ) is the integro-differential equation
[tex]
\frac{d f}{dx} = - a \frac{f}{x^2} \left( 4\pi \int^x_R du\,u^2 f(u) + M \right).
[/tex]

That's even more interesting. What are the bounds for the constants a, R, and M?

Also, from the form of the equation, I suppose you're looking for a solution for:

[tex]x\ge R[/tex]

and I would imagine some initial condition:

[tex]f(R)=?[/tex]

is known. If that's the case, then I would think a modified Runge-Kutta method can be set up to evaluate f(x) if an analytical solution can not be obtained.

Last edited:
The equation arises in trying to describe the density distribution of the atmosphere of a planet. The constant a is given by
[tex] a = \frac{G m}{k T},
[/tex]
where G is Newton's gravitational constant, [tex] m [/tex] is the gas particle's mass, [tex] k [/tex] is Boltzmann's constant, and [tex] T [/tex] is temperature. [tex] R [/tex] is the radius of the planet and [tex] M [/tex] is the planet's mass. So all the constants are manifestly positive and you want to know [tex] f(x) [/tex] (the gas density) for [tex] x > R [/tex]. goulio has assumed that [tex] T [/tex] is independent of position, which is kind of a bad approximation but introduces a lot of extra complexity otherwise.

Physics Monkey said:
The equation arises in trying to describe the density distribution of the atmosphere of a planet. The constant a is given by
[tex] a = \frac{G m}{k T},
[/tex]
where G is Newton's gravitational constant, [tex] m [/tex] is the gas particle's mass, [tex] k [/tex] is Boltzmann's constant, and [tex] T [/tex] is temperature. [tex] R [/tex] is the radius of the planet and [tex] M [/tex] is the planet's mass. So all the constants are manifestly positive and you want to know [tex] f(x) [/tex] (the gas density) for [tex] x > R [/tex]. goulio has assumed that [tex] T [/tex] is independent of position, which is kind of a bad approximation but introduces a lot of extra complexity otherwise.

One more thing: What is the gas density at the surface? That is, f(R)? Surely that needs to be known or guessed at in order to solve the problem or can we just scale it to f(R)=1?

What is an integro-differential equation?

An integro-differential equation is an equation that contains both derivatives and integrals. It is a type of differential equation that involves an unknown function and its derivative, as well as an integral of the function. These equations are often used to model complex systems in physics, engineering, and other areas of science.

How is an integro-differential equation different from a regular differential equation?

An integro-differential equation is different from a regular differential equation because it contains both derivatives and integrals, while a regular differential equation only contains derivatives. This makes integro-differential equations more complex and difficult to solve, but they can also provide more accurate models for certain systems.

What are some real-world applications of integro-differential equations?

Integro-differential equations are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics. They can be used to model phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, population dynamics, and financial markets. They are also commonly used in control theory and signal processing.

What are some methods for solving integro-differential equations?

There are several methods for solving integro-differential equations, including the Laplace transform method, the Fourier transform method, the method of variation of parameters, and the method of successive approximations. The appropriate method to use depends on the specific equation and its properties.

Why are integro-differential equations important in scientific research?

Integro-differential equations are important in scientific research because they allow scientists and researchers to model complex systems and analyze their behavior. These equations can provide more accurate and realistic representations of real-world phenomena, and can help predict and understand the behavior of these systems under different conditions. They are also essential in the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields of science and engineering.