Electric Potential of a Spherical Shell of Charge

In summary, for a spherical shell with an even distribution of charge, outside the shell at a distance r where r>R the shell can be treated as a point charge. Inside the sphere (r<R), the electric potential will be constant. When the shell has thickness (with inner radius a and outer radius b), the field and potential will vary throughout the range (a < r < b) and will need to be integrated. The field at a radius r depends only on the charge within that radius and can be found using either total charge Q or charge density.
Polarbear
Ok if you have a spherical shell of radius R with an even distribution of charge then outside the shell at a distance r where r>R I get that the shell can be treated as a point charge and inside the sphere (r<R) the electric potential will be constant.
All my notes cover when the shell has no thickness and I was thinking what happen if the spherical shell did have thickness (say inner radius a and outer radius b)? When r is greater then b can the shell still be treated as a point charge? How about when a<r<b?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the charge is uniformly distributed throughout the (nonconducting) shell:

(r > b) Treat as a point charge

(r < a) potential will be constant

(a < r < b) the field (and potential) will vary throughout this range; you'll need to integrate. (The field at a radius r depends only on the charge within that radius; the field is that of a point charge, but only the charge within r contributes to the field.)

Thanks for just clearing that up for me. I've managed to find a question on this (I'm getting practise in before mid-year exams) however it deals in terms of charge density. Is it just as simple as finding Q in terms of the sphere (volume of shell at such and such density).

Right. You should be able to work with either total charge Q or with the charge density. As an exercise, you might want to find the field as a function of radius for a uniform ball of charge density [itex]\rho[/itex].

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric potential of a spherical shell of charge?

The formula for calculating the electric potential of a spherical shell of charge is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

2. How does the electric potential vary with distance from the center of the shell?

The electric potential varies inversely with the distance from the center of the shell, meaning that as the distance increases, the electric potential decreases.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that represents the force exerted on a charged particle at a given point in an electric field.

4. Can the electric potential of a spherical shell of charge be negative?

Yes, the electric potential of a spherical shell of charge can be negative. This usually occurs when the charge of the shell is negative, resulting in a negative electric potential at certain points around the shell.

5. How does the electric potential of a spherical shell of charge differ from that of a point charge?

The electric potential of a spherical shell of charge is constant at all points on the surface of the shell, whereas the electric potential of a point charge varies with distance from the charge. Additionally, the electric potential of a spherical shell of charge is zero inside the shell, while the electric potential of a point charge is never zero at any point in space.