Why Is Temperature Irrelevant in Calculating Compton Scattering Angle?

In summary, Compton photon scattering is a phenomenon where a photon collides with an electron, resulting in the photon losing energy and changing direction. It has significance in understanding the behavior of photons and electrons and is used in various fields like medical imaging and astrophysics. The amount of energy lost in this process depends on the initial energy of the photon, the angle of scattering, and the mass of the electron. Unlike other types of scattering, it involves the interaction between particles with different types of charge. The Compton wavelength, a fundamental constant, is related to this phenomenon as it determines the change in wavelength of the scattered photon.
LocationX
if the compton wavelength shift is in scattering an electron is 0.29 pico-m, what is the photon scattering angle? (you make take T=600K)

I don't know why I was told the that T=600K?

[tex] \Delta \lambda= \frac{h}{mc} (1-cos\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{h}{mc}=0.00243 nm[/tex]

[tex]0.119341564=1-cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]\theta=28.278 degrees[/tex]

i don't see where the temperature comes in.
is my work correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked the numbers but the expression is correct. And there should be no role for temperature in the problem.

What is Compton photon scattering?

Compton photon scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) collides with an electron, resulting in the photon losing some of its energy and changing direction.

What is the significance of Compton photon scattering in physics?

Compton photon scattering is important in understanding the behavior of photons and electrons, and it has applications in fields such as medical imaging, astrophysics, and nuclear physics.

What factors affect the amount of energy lost in Compton photon scattering?

The energy lost in Compton photon scattering depends on the initial energy of the photon, the angle of scattering, and the mass of the electron.

How is Compton photon scattering different from other types of scattering?

Compton photon scattering is unique because it involves the interaction between a photon and an electron, while other types of scattering involve interactions between particles with the same type of charge.

What is the Compton wavelength and how is it related to Compton photon scattering?

The Compton wavelength is a fundamental constant that relates the mass of a particle to its wavelength. In Compton photon scattering, the change in wavelength of the scattered photon is related to the Compton wavelength of the electron involved in the interaction.