Y''-6y'+5y = -25t^3, Diff EQ, did I mess up my guess again?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a particular solution for a given problem, with one person sharing their method and asking for confirmation on their findings. Others offered suggestions and corrections, leading to a solution being found.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone! its me!
I thought i for sure did this one right, but no, lies!
Directions are to find a particular solution

Here is what i did:
http://suprfile.com/src/1/1t3y9m/lastscan.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you so quick to conclude that B=C=D=0 ?

I don't see where i messed up here, i thought i found all the co-efficents correctly:
http://suprfile.com/src/1/1th0qc/lastscan.jpg [Broken]

Anyone see? Thanks!@

I don't. :/

C is -186/5 so D must be changed too.

Well spotted!

Ahh good one!
thanks for the help everyone!
http://cwcsrv11.cwc.psu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/90/e5ef2b88d7f77d6789601eb3d10ebb1.png [Broken]

1. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

Solving a differential equation allows us to find the relationship between a function and its derivatives. This relationship can help us make predictions and understand how a system will change over time.

2. How do I know if my guess for the solution to a differential equation is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your guess for a solution is correct. One way is to substitute your guess into the differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to take the derivative of your guess and see if it matches the derivative in the original equation.

3. What do I do if my guess for the solution to a differential equation doesn't work?

If your guess does not work, you can try a different approach, such as using a different method or making a different guess. You can also check your calculations to make sure there are no errors. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

4. What are the most common methods for solving differential equations?

The most common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series. Each method is useful for different types of differential equations, so it is important to understand the strengths and limitations of each one.

5. Is there a shortcut or trick for solving difficult differential equations?

There is no one-size-fits-all shortcut or trick for solving difficult differential equations. However, there are some strategies that can make the process easier. These include breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using symmetry to simplify the equation, and using known solutions to build a new solution.