Watch out, n00b about Black Holes Question.

In summary, the conversation is about the connection between string theory and black holes. The question asks about what happens to the strings in string theory when matter or energy falls into a black hole and whether or not black holes span multiple dimensions. The idea of black holes spanning multiple dimensions is discussed, but it is still unknown if it is correct. Links to papers and references are also mentioned.
RyanJ
Watch out, n00b about :) Black Holes Question.

String theory and black holes...

Hi all,

I have a question relating the linking of string (and M-theory) with that of the idea of a black hole. I understand that force can be seen to be caused by vibrations on the strings and this these can seen to be transmitted via force particles.

My question is this, in string theory everything is seen to be a vibration on a “string”, when matter and or energy falls into a black hole what happens to the strings themselves, are they remained untouched?

Also, are black holes thought to span multiple dimension?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Astronomy news on Phys.org
RyanJ said:
Also, are black holes thought to span multiple dimension?

That is indeed one idea put forward, but whether or not it’s right is still unknown.

@Gokul43201: thanks for the links, I shall read them with care :)

@Vast: o you haen to know of any papers, refeences etc. that describe the pssability?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

How big can a black hole get?

The size of a black hole can vary, but the largest known black holes are called supermassive black holes and can have a mass equivalent to billions of suns.

Can black holes be seen?

No, black holes cannot be seen directly because light cannot escape from them. However, scientists can detect the presence of a black hole by studying the effects of its strong gravitational pull on surrounding matter.

Do black holes only exist in outer space?

Yes, black holes are only found in outer space. They are not present on Earth because they require extremely high gravity to form, which is not possible on our planet.

Can a black hole destroy Earth?

No, a black hole would need to come very close to Earth in order to destroy it. However, there are no known black holes close enough to pose a threat to our planet.