Exploring the Highest Redshift Objects in the Universe

In summary, the highest redshift observed for any 'object' in the Universe is technically the CMB at z~1100. However, this is usually not what people mean when they ask about the highest redshift object. The z=10 galaxy, known as the Abell-lensed 'object', was initially thought to be a candidate with a high redshift, but further studies have shown it to be a possible error. Some of the polarization in the CMB comes from reionization, but most of it was created at the surface of last scattering. The polarization anisotropies in both the temperature and polarization of the CMB show multi-peaked structure due to oscillations in the early universe.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Hi, what is the highest redshift observed for any 'object' in the Universe?

Also, is the Abell-lensed 'object' still viewed as a possible candidate (at Z=10) or have people further studied this lensed 'object' and determined its high redshift as an error?

Thanks you.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Chaos' lil bro Order said:
Hi, what is the highest redshift observed for any 'object' in the Universe?

See here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=113862&page=4"

In particular, post #55.

Also, is the Abell-lensed 'object' still viewed as a possible candidate (at Z=10) or have people further studied this lensed 'object' and determined its high redshift as an error?

It looks to be bogus:

http://xxx.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0601181"

Last edited by a moderator:
well, technically the highest redshift 'object' oberved thus far is the CMB at z~1100.

As for the z=10 galaxy, I believe I already answered this in this post in another thread:https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=936972&postcount=11"

The NED link you refenced in that thread provided 4 references, 1 of which found no evidence of a detection of the z=10 in the H-waveband (where Pello detected it) and the other reanalysed the origional data and failed to detect the line used in the origional analysis to determine a redshift.

Last edited by a moderator:
matt.o said:
well, technically the highest redshift 'object' oberved thus far is the CMB at z~1100.

This is certainly true, though in my experience, that's usually not what people mean. The surface of last scattering can be seen in all directions and doesn't, IMO, constitute a single coherent "object". Chaos, do you understand what the CMB really is and why it might or might not be called the object with the highest redshift?

SpaceTiger said:
This is certainly true, though in my experience, that's usually not what people mean. The surface of last scattering can be seen in all directions and doesn't, IMO, constitute a single coherent "object".

True. I was just being smart! I think I remember Charley Lineweaver saying in one of his talks "Those galaxy guys get excited about obseving galaxies at z=7, well that's nothing. I observe the CMB at redshift 1100!" or something along those lines.

matt.o said:
True. I was just being smart! I think I remember Charley Lineweaver saying in one of his talks "Those galaxy guys get excited about obseving galaxies at z=7, well that's nothing. I observe the CMB at redshift 1100!" or something along those lines.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I think it really is a good thing for people to keep in mind, particularly when considering the Big Bang Theory. If we really couldn't observe anything past z=7, cosmological theory would be working from a much narrower baseline and there might still be genuine reason to question the expanding universe...

Probably not, though. :biggrin:

Yes, I understand the CMB has been redshifted from ~1000nm (3000K) to ~1mm (~2.75K), if memory serves me. Wasn't it released around 380,000LY post BB? And the polarizations in it were left by the Reionization Period?

Ok, matt.O, so the z-10 object was falsified, gotcha. CMB is an object? Naw, but a funny joke of a concept.

And the polarizations in it were left by the Reionization Period?

Some of the polarization comes from reionization, though much was made at the surface of last scattering (z~1100). We can measure a power spectrum of the polarization anisotropies just like with the temperature and both show multi-peaked structure coming from oscillations in the early universe.

SpaceTiger said:
Some of the polarization comes from reionization, though much was made at the surface of last scattering (z~1100). We can measure a power spectrum of the polarization anisotropies just like with the temperature and both show multi-peaked structure coming from oscillations in the early universe.

Are you referring to the 1 degree inhomogenities in the WMAP data?

Are you referring to the 1 degree inhomogenities in the WMAP data?

The first acoustic peak is at about one degree, but there are two others at smaller angular scales. The inhomogeneities in polarization caused by reionization are at much larger angular scales (>~20 degrees).

1. What is the highest redshift observed?

The highest redshift observed is 11.1, which was detected by the Hubble Space Telescope in 2012. This corresponds to a distance of approximately 13.2 billion light years from Earth.

2. How is redshift measured?

Redshift is measured by comparing the observed wavelength of light from an object to the known wavelength of that light. The difference between the two wavelengths is then used to calculate the object's redshift, which indicates how fast it is moving away from us.

3. Why is the highest redshift observed significant?

The highest redshift observed is significant because it allows scientists to study some of the earliest and most distant objects in the universe. This can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies and the universe as a whole.

4. Can redshift be negative?

Yes, redshift can be negative. Negative redshift indicates that an object is moving towards us, while positive redshift indicates that an object is moving away from us.

5. How does redshift relate to the expansion of the universe?

Redshift is directly related to the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the wavelength of light emitted by objects in space gets stretched, resulting in a redshift. The higher the redshift, the farther and faster the object is moving away from us due to the expansion of the universe.