Calculating the Minimum Thickness of a Thin-Film for Destructive Interference

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mixture of yellow and violet light passing through a film of gasoline on a puddle of water. The refractive indices of gasoline and water are given, and the question asks for the minimum nonzero thickness of the film for destructive interference to occur. The formula for calculating the wavelength of light in the gasoline is mentioned, and the condition for destructive interference is determined to be 2t - lambda/2. However, the question is marked as incorrect on the webassign platform.
BoogieL80
I feel really lost in this interference stuff. I'm also having trouble with the following problem:

A mixture of yellow light (wavelength = 584 nm in vacuum) and violet light (wavelength = 408 nm in vacuum) falls perpendicularly on a film of gasoline that is floating on a puddle of water. For both wavelengths, the refractive index of gasoline is n = 1.40 and that of water is n = 1.33. What is the minimum nonzero thickness of the film in a spot that looks the following colors because of destructive interference?

What makes matters worse for this problem is there is even an example of this type of problem in my book. However, I used the formula wavelengthfilm = wavelengthvacuum / n and figured out that the wavelength of yellow in the gasoline is 417 nm and for violet is 291 nm. The problem also said that the color is caused by destructive interference. So in my mind this would mean that 2t + 1/2 wavelengthfilm = conditions for destructive wavelenth. I figured it was 2t since wave 2 traveled extra distance. In the end this would mean that for a miniumum nonzero thickness of film my formula would equal t= 1/2 * wavelength film. However webbassign is saying my answers are incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
2t = half wavelength IS the condition for destructive interference here.
(there is no extra 1/2 wavelength at reflections from a faster material)

But then t = 1/4 wavelength , for the color that is NOT seen.

Last edited:
So I guess I'm suppose to assume that all of the other colors show up due to constructive interference?

?? In this problem, there's Yellow light and Violet light.

Sorry, I mis-read the question earlier ...

The TOP reflection (air-gasoline) is from material in which the wave is slower.
So it has an extra half-wavelength (Electric field is flipped on reflection)
But light is faster in the water, so the bottom reflection (gasoline-water)
does NOT have an extra half-wavelength.

The total path difference is therefore 2t - lambda/2 ...
which equals lambda/2 for destructive interference.

Sorry again for my mis-reading of the gasoline n .

Well that's kind of where I was before. I calculated, for example, the wavelength for yellow to be 417nm (584nm/1.40 = 417nm). I tried diving that wavelength by 2 and got 208nm. However, my webassign is saying that is incorrect...

1. What is thin-film interference?

Thin-film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film, such as a soap bubble or a layer of oil on water. The waves interfere with each other, resulting in a change in the perceived color of the film.

2. How does the thickness of the film affect the interference pattern?

The thickness of the film determines the path length difference between the reflected waves, which in turn affects the interference pattern. Thicker films will produce more distinct and vibrant interference colors, while thinner films may produce subtler color changes.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference in thin films?

Constructive interference occurs when the peaks and troughs of the reflected waves align, resulting in a brighter and more saturated color. Destructive interference occurs when the peaks and troughs are out of phase, canceling out each other and resulting in a darker or even transparent appearance.

4. What factors can affect the interference pattern in thin films?

The interference pattern in thin films can be affected by the angle of incidence of the light, the refractive indices of the materials involved, and the wavelength of the light. Changes in any of these factors can alter the path length difference between the reflected waves and therefore change the interference pattern.

5. How is thin-film interference used in practical applications?

Thin-film interference is used in a variety of practical applications, including anti-reflective coatings on glasses and camera lenses, thin-film solar cells, and optical filters. It is also used in the production of colorful coatings on metals and in the study of thin films in materials science.