How much does the temperature of an auditorium increase when filled with people?

In summary, the problem is to calculate the temperature increase in a 4350 cubic meter auditorium when filled with 823 people for a 30 minute meeting. Using the equation Q=mc(delta T) and taking into account the specific heat capacity of air, mass of air, and heat output of each person, the calculated temperature increase is 28.238 degrees Celsius. However, this result is incorrect and the conversation suggests that the mistake may be due to incorrect units. The specific heat capacity of air should be in joules, not kilojoules.
Xandu
I've been trying to solve this for about a week and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

The problem is to figure out how much the temperature of the auditorium increases when its full of people.

The room is 4350 cubic meters.
The meeting lasts 30 minutes (1800 seconds)
The specific heat capacity of air is 1.005 J/gram, or 1005 kJ/Kg
The mass of air is 1.2 kg/m
There are 823 people.
Each person gives off about 100 watts per second.

I've been using the equation Q = mc (delta T)

To get Q, I do 823 * 100 * 1800, which is 148,140,000

So then I do 148,140,000 / 1.2kg/m (1005kJ/Kg) ( 4350), which is 148,140,000 / 5,246,100 = 28.238 degrees Celsius, which is way off. them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quick note: watts is a measurement of energy per time so I think you mean each person gives off 100 watts (100 joules per second). Also I think you mean the density of air is 1.2 kg/m3

Make sure you are using all standard units. (Notice that the specific heat is given as kiloJoules per kilogram.

Last edited:
Yes, i meant 100 joules per second, my mistake, I'll try it again with 1.3 kg/m3. Thanks

No sorry that was a typo on my part. If it's given as 1.2 then use 1.2.

My main point was to make sure your values are in joules.

Oh, that makes sense, thanks.

1. What causes temperature change in a room?

The temperature in a room can change due to a variety of factors such as changes in outdoor temperature, sunlight exposure, air flow, and heat sources like electronics or cooking appliances.

2. How does humidity affect the temperature in a room?

Humidity can impact the temperature in a room by affecting the rate at which moisture evaporates from the skin. Higher humidity can make a room feel warmer, while lower humidity can make it feel cooler.

3. What is the ideal temperature for a room?

The ideal temperature for a room can vary depending on personal preference, but generally falls between 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important to also consider factors like humidity and air flow when determining the ideal temperature for a room.

4. Can temperature change in a room affect my health?

Extreme temperature changes in a room can have an impact on your health. For example, consistently high temperatures can lead to dehydration and heat-related illnesses, while low temperatures can increase the risk of hypothermia.

5. How can I control the temperature in a room?

The temperature in a room can be controlled by adjusting the thermostat, using fans or air conditioning to circulate air, and using curtains or blinds to regulate sunlight. Proper insulation and sealing any drafts can also help maintain a consistent temperature in a room.