Is it posible to reverse permntly polarity of a permanentmagnet?

In summary: Forces of magnetism. Yes, at the atomic or subatomic level, magnetism is a force. It doesn't just exist because some materials are magnetic. No, at the atomic or subatomic level, magnetism is a force.
luxtpm7
Im working at this at the moment on this and i was wondering if is posible to reverse polarity of a permanent magnet without expending huge ammounts of energy and keep that polarity

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Magnets are made out of "hard" magnetic materials that retain their magnetic polarization. Google B-H curves and hard magnetic material to learn more.

Last edited:
The easiest way would be to simply turn it around.

Newton's law applies here. You would have to have a force equal or greater than the magnetic field of the magnet to which it is applied.

usp8riot said:
Newton's law applies here. You would have to have a force equal or greater than the magnetic field of the magnet to which it is applied.

Please don't mislead the poster with vague and erroneous comments. What you said makes very little sense and your concepts are incorrect.

Last edited:
Yes, it maybe seems vague if you don't know the concept. All energy can be negated with energy of equal or greater value. It is a scientific fact. What is wrong with my statement? Did that not answer his question. Short answer, no. Not without equal or greater work. And I take it as 'huge' amounts of energy mean more than the original energy the magnet is exerting. Is that still too vague?

usp8riot said:
Yes, it maybe seems vague if you don't know the concept. All energy can be negated with energy of equal or greater value. It is a scientific fact. What is wrong with my statement? Did that not answer his question. Short answer, no. Not without equal or greater work. And I take it as 'huge' amounts of energy mean more than the original energy the magnet is exerting. Is that still too vague?

I would strongly suggest that you sit down and devote some time to reading basic high school and then college level Physics texts (not pop science books) cover to cover. You really need to acquire a proper foundation in Physics if you want to talk about it. At the moment you are uninfomed or (worse) misinformed about a lot of basic Physics. Nothing wrong in being uninformed, anyway, we've all been there. The important thing is to work toward acquiring correct knowledge. :smile:

Am I uninformed of the law of conservation of energy? That is what applies here. I can see how you would see I'm uninformed since I don't argue semantics. But I do have an understanding of physics. I am knowledgeable from the ground up, to the ground down. You are thinking I'm looking too far ahead probably, as into sub-particle physics, the basic algorithms in which mass/energy work. I don't study what is, so much as what is that makes what is. Maybe that's where my outlook seems miscontrived to you. But I assure you as there is light in the day, I've studied physics, and moreso, observed it, more than your average guy. But I will leave the forum if that's what you wish since you don't think I am up to the level to reply.

usp8riot: I urge you to take Curious3141's suggestion seriously. Pick up a physics book and start reading.

Frankly, your posts are chock full of vague nonsense:
usp8riot said:
Say what? You give the impression that you don't know what Newton's laws are.
All energy can be negated with energy of equal or greater value.
Say what?

Not knowing is not a crime, but posting vaguely worded nonsense will not be tolerated here. So stop it.

Regarding the original question, can you reverse the polarity of a permanent magnet? Yes, as berkeman stated. It requires a very strong magnetizing field. It generally takes more energy to reverse the polarity of a magnet than it did to originally magnetize it, which should make sense since you have to reverse the domains.

It generally takes more energy to reverse the polarity of a magnet than it did to originally magnetize it, which should make sense since you have to reverse the domains.

Is that not what I just said?

It requires a very strong magnetizing field.

Of course it takes a magnifying field to reverse a magnifying field. Is this not vague? I posted pretty much the same thing and you're down my back except I didn't say it takes a magnifying field. I assumed he already knew it would take another magnetic field. Did you not understand when I said all energy can be negated by energy greater than or equal to it? Why did that get a 'say what', you do know physics, right? And of course Newton's first law would seem vague to you at the level we're talking. But down past the molecular or atomic level, magnetism is forces which are allied with each other and require forces to act upon those with equal or greater force to change the polarity. Geez, is this some sort of newb annitiation ritual?

Are you able to STATE Newton's first law at all, usp8riot?
Do you know what it is about?

It sure doesn't seem so.

usp8riot said:
Geez, is this some sort of newb annitiation ritual?
Yes it is, welcome to PF. Consider yourself initiated. I kind of understood what you were saying, but when helping others here, it's a good idea to try to make the statement so it will be fairly clear to the OP (original poster). I understood your metaphor of Newton's Laws, but that might have been a pretty big leap for the OP to understand.

Let's all just leave this thread lie, and see how the next few threads go, okay?

What is the definition of permanent magnet?

A permanent magnet is a type of magnet made from a material that retains its magnetic field even after being removed from a magnetic field generator.

What is polarity in relation to magnets?

Polarity refers to the direction of the magnetic field lines in a magnet, which determines its north and south poles.

Is it possible to reverse the polarity of a permanent magnet?

Yes, it is possible to reverse the polarity of a permanent magnet by exposing it to a strong external magnetic field in the opposite direction, causing the magnetic domains within the material to align in the opposite direction.

Can the polarity of a permanent magnet be reversed permanently?

Yes, the polarity of a permanent magnet can be reversed permanently by exposing it to a strong external magnetic field for a prolonged period of time, or by heating it to its Curie temperature and cooling it in a strong magnetic field.

What are the practical applications of reversing the polarity of a permanent magnet?

Reversing the polarity of a permanent magnet can be useful in various applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and magnetic storage devices, where the direction of the magnetic field needs to be changed for specific purposes.