Understanding Delta Epsilon Proofs: Recommended Calc Textbooks

• Thread starter darius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, the conversation discusses a recommendation for a book that better explains delta epsilon proofs in calculus and also asks for suggestions for good calculus books. One person suggests "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, which has a clear explanation of the epsilon delta definition of limits, but warns that the exercises may be more challenging. The other person thanks them for the recommendation and plans to check it out.
darius
Can anyone recommend me a book that better explains delta epsilon proofs. We skimmed it in beginning calc class and I would like to understand it better.

Also I would like to know if there are any good books out there for learning calc. I do not like the stewart textbook we are using that much.

The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a string of capital truths, and ourselves for an oracle, is inborn in us- Paul Valerey

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read Stewart's Book, but I've only heard good things. A great book is "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, arguably the best calc book written to date! It has a wonderful explanation of the epsilon delta definition of limits. The exercises are probably more challenging than Stewarts though, so this book isn't for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
Thanks for yuor reply. I will certainly give it a look!-Darius

1. What is a Delta Epsilon Proof?

A Delta Epsilon proof is a method of proving that a limit exists using the formal definition of a limit. It involves finding a relationship between the difference in input values (delta) and the difference in output values (epsilon) to show that the limit approaches a specific value.

2. Why is understanding Delta Epsilon proofs important in calculus?

Delta Epsilon proofs are important in calculus because they provide a rigorous way of proving that a limit exists. This is important for understanding the behavior of a function and making accurate predictions. Additionally, Delta Epsilon proofs are often required in higher-level math courses and are foundational for understanding more advanced concepts.

3. What are some common pitfalls when working with Delta Epsilon proofs?

Some common pitfalls when working with Delta Epsilon proofs include not properly choosing delta and epsilon values, not following the correct logical steps, and not fully understanding the formal definition of a limit. It is important to carefully choose values for delta and epsilon that satisfy the definition and to clearly explain each step in the proof.

4. What are some recommended calculus textbooks for learning about Delta Epsilon proofs?

Some highly recommended calculus textbooks for learning about Delta Epsilon proofs include "Calculus" by James Stewart, "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Howard Anton and Irl Bivens, and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex. These textbooks provide clear explanations and examples of Delta Epsilon proofs, making it easier for students to understand and apply the concept.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Delta Epsilon proofs?

To improve your understanding of Delta Epsilon proofs, it is important to practice solving problems and proofs. This will help you become more familiar with the concept and develop your problem-solving skills. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or professor, studying with classmates, and using additional resources such as online tutorials can also be helpful in improving your understanding of Delta Epsilon proofs.