Junior seeking help for project.

• Thread starter rob_taylor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation discusses Newton's equations and the principle of relativity, specifically how it applies to circular motion. It is explained that on a ferris wheel, centripetal force will pull water towards the center, causing it to tilt away from the center and creating a higher water level at the sides and a lower level in the center. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of the helpfulness of the explanation.
rob_taylor
Alrighty, thanks FZ+.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Er... I think you misunderstand Newton's equations here. There is a principle of relativity which states that travel at constant velocity is indistinguishible from being stationary. Thus, you can only measure change in velocity, not actual movement. Circular motion is different...

Secondly, I think that on the ferris wheel, centripetel force would pull the water towards the center of the circle. Wouldn't this express itself as a tilting of the water towards the center though?
No. There is an acceleration on the water towards the center, yes, but that is applied by the sides of the container. The water, by Newton's first law, will move at a tangential velocity until it is accelerated. So you should see an increase in water level away from your centre of rotation, where contact forces are acting to stop your water overflowing...

So the water would "tilt" away from the center? I know I'm new at this, so I appreciate your pointers.

Yes, it would tilt away, giving a higher water level at the sides and a lower level in the centre.

Excellent, this cleared up quite a bit. Thanks very much.

Last edited:

1. What is your project about?

My project is about studying the effects of different types of music on plant growth.

2. What hypothesis are you testing?

My hypothesis is that plants exposed to classical music will grow taller and healthier compared to plants exposed to heavy metal music.

3. How will you conduct your experiment?

I will be using a controlled environment with identical plants, soil, and sunlight. Each plant will be exposed to a different type of music for a set amount of time and their growth will be measured and compared.

4. What are your expected results?

I expect to see that plants exposed to classical music will have a higher growth rate and appear healthier compared to plants exposed to heavy metal music.

5. What implications do you think your findings will have?

If my hypothesis is supported by the results, it could have implications for the use of music in plant growth and potentially lead to new methods for improving crop production.