Electric Field and potential of spherical shell

In summary, the problem involves a charge of Q= 12*10\exp-6 C located at the center of a spherical shell conductor with a negative charge of Q1= 6*10\exp-6 C. The internal radius of the shell is 22 cm and the external radius is 26 cm. The task is to calculate the electric field and potential using the given expressions. However, there is a discrepancy in the given equations and it is necessary to consider the total charge inside the general sphere of radius r2 rather than just the charge on the metal sphere.
YoungILoveYou
A charge punctiform of [tex] Q= 12*10\exp-6 C[/tex] is in the center of a spherical shell conductor charged negatively [tex]Q1= 6*10\exp-6 C[/tex], and of internal radius = 22 cm ad external=26 cm.
Calculate the electric field and potential.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts/ideas on this problem? You need to show some work before you get help.

My reasoning is:

Ri=Internal radius
Re=External radius
[tex] E int= 1/4\pi\epsilon_0 * Q/Ri^2[/tex]
[tex] E ext= 1/4\pi\epsilon_0 * Q1/Re^2[/tex]

and then use

[tex] V=\int E dl[/tex]

What do you think?

edit
I correct something

Last edited:
First off, it should be 1/r2 not 1/r. Shoudn't E_int be for a general point 0<r1<Ri, and E_ext for Re<r2<infinity, or are you calculating the field strength at those points? I don't see why else they'd give you the size of the charge and of the radii. Also, you need to consider the total charge inside your general sphere of radius r2, not just the charge on the metal sphere.

Tomsk said:
are you calculating the field strength at those points? I don't see why else they'd give you the size of the charge and of the radii. Also, you need to consider the total charge inside your general sphere of radius r2, not just the charge on the metal sphere.
For the precision the problem demands E(r) and V(r).
Perhaps I have not understood well what I must calculate.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charged particles. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

2. How is the electric field of a spherical shell calculated?

The electric field of a spherical shell is calculated using the formula E = Q/(4πε₀r²), where Q is the total charge of the shell, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

3. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charged particles.

4. How is the electric potential of a spherical shell calculated?

The electric potential of a spherical shell is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point where the electric potential is being calculated.

5. How does the electric field and potential change inside and outside of a charged spherical shell?

Inside the shell, both the electric field and potential are zero since the charges on the shell cancel each other out. Outside the shell, the electric field and potential decrease with increasing distance from the shell, following the inverse square law.