Ring Theory: Equivalence Relations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equivalence relations and how they must be symmetric, reflexive, and transitive. The question is posed whether the relation "is a subset of" for the set of sets S = {A,B,C...} is an equivalence relation, but it is determined that it is not due to its lack of symmetry. The possibility of creating an equivalence relation by adding a condition is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a discussion on how a relation with two properties of equivalence relations but not all three can still be extended to an equivalence relation. One example given is using a graph to generate a relation between modules.
wubie
Hello,

I have a question regarding equivalence relations from my ring theory course.

Question:

Which of the following are equivalence relations?

e) "is a subset of" (note that this is not a proper subset) for the set of sets S = {A,B,C...}.

Example: A "is a subset of" B.

Now I know that for a binary relation to be an equivalence relation the relation must be symmetric, reflexive, and transitive.

I would initially say that e) would be an equivalence relation since the following:

e) This is not a proper subset so assume that each of the sets in S is a set equal to S. This should mean that the relation would be symmetric, reflexive, and transitive.

But since the possibility of the sets in S being proper subsets of S exist then the relation must have the following restriction: A R B and B R A (where R is the relation and A,B are elements of S) iff A = B. Would this mean R is anti-symmetric?

I would then guess that unless the relation is unconditionally reflexive, transitive, and symmetric then the relation could not be an equivalence relation. Would this be a correct assessment?

Any input is appreciated. Thankyou.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Right; this is not an equivalence relation.

Yes. Thankyou.

Actually I know that it is not an equivalence relation, but I was wondering if my reasoning was correct. I should have been more specific. Sorry.

Yes; because it fails to be symmetric, it cannot be an equivalence relation.

Thanks again Hurkyl.

does every relation having two properties of equivalence relations but not all three have a minimal relation that contains it as well as being an equivalence relation?

in particular, i know that if one adds the condition "or is equal to" to the relation "is a proper subset of", it becomes an equivalence relation equal to "is a subset of".

Originally posted by phoenixthoth
does every relation having two properties of equivalence relations but not all three have a minimal relation that contains it as well as being an equivalence relation?

in particular, i know that if one adds the condition "or is equal to" to the relation "is a proper subset of", it becomes an equivalence relation equal to "is a subset of".

'Is a subset of' is not an equivalence relation for the same reason as 'is a proper subset of'

Here's an example of making an equivalence by fiat. (genuine maths)

Let S be the set of (finite dimensional) simple modules for a group algebra. define a relation on modules by M~N if there is some indecomposable module that has both M and N in its composition series. This is symmetric and reflexive, but not transitive. So just make it so by fiat. The equivalence classes are the blocks of the algebra.

oops. no, it's not symmetric, now is it.

sorry.

Originally posted by matt grime

Here's an example of making an equivalence by fiat. (genuine maths)

Let S be the set of (finite dimensional) simple modules for a group algebra. define a relation on modules by M~N if there is some indecomposable module that has both M and N in its composition series. This is symmetric and reflexive, but not transitive. So just make it so by fiat. The equivalence classes are the blocks of the algebra.

Unless I misunderstand what you're suggesting, the description you're giving is somewhat preposterous, since what it's really doing is defining ~ so that M~N if there is a path from M~N in a graph generated by assigning each module to a node, and placing edges betwen pairs of modules that share a composition series.

"So just make it by fiat" is actually a change to the definition of '~' which results from globbing the modules together.

Originally posted by phoenixthoth

I'm not sure what you mean. There is always the trivial relation: a~b is true for all a and b, and the other trival relation, a~b iff a = b. Obviously both are equivalance relations.

Consider that there are three properties:

Transitive, reflexive and symetric:

reflexive and symetric:
a~b iff a and b have a common factor > 1.

So transitive and symetric:
a~b iff a and b are both not 0.
Any transitive and symetric relation can be extended to an equivalance by adding that a~a if a=a.

transitive and reflexive:
a~b iff a ≤ b

Likes theophilusmega
Originally posted by NateTG
Unless I misunderstand what you're suggesting, the description you're giving is somewhat preposterous, since what it's really doing is defining ~ so that M~N if there is a path from M~N in a graph generated by assigning each module to a node, and placing edges betwen pairs of modules that share a composition series.

"So just make it by fiat" is actually a change to the definition of '~' which results from globbing the modules together.

It certainly isn't preposterous, and is one of the many equivalent definitions of blocks of algebras.

It's a standard, simple way to make a symmetric reflexive relation transitive.

Oh, perhaps you are not noticing the strong constraint that there is an *indecomposable* module with them as composition factors. You might perhaps need to know more about group algebras and projective modules, but this defintitely isn't 'globbing the modules together' merely some of them: those that lie in the same block; correspond to the same indecomposable idempotents of the identity functor; do something old fashioned with Brauer Characters.

1. What is Ring Theory?

Ring Theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the properties and structure of rings, which are algebraic structures that consist of a set of elements and two binary operations, typically addition and multiplication.

2. What are Equivalence Relations in Ring Theory?

An equivalence relation is a relation on a set that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. In Ring Theory, equivalence relations are used to group elements in a ring together based on their properties and characteristics.

3. How are Equivalence Relations used in Ring Theory?

Equivalence relations are used to classify elements in a ring into equivalence classes, which are subsets of elements that share a common property or characteristic. This allows for a deeper understanding of the structure and properties of a ring.

4. What are some common examples of Equivalence Relations in Ring Theory?

Some common examples of equivalence relations in Ring Theory include congruence relations, where elements are considered equivalent if they have the same remainder when divided by a fixed number, and isomorphism relations, where elements are considered equivalent if they have the same structure and properties.

5. How do Equivalence Relations relate to other concepts in Ring Theory?

Equivalence relations are closely related to other concepts in Ring Theory, such as subrings, ideals, and homomorphisms. They are also used in the study of quotient rings, which are rings formed by partitioning a ring into equivalence classes based on a given equivalence relation.