Room Temperature Superconductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the progress towards creating room temperature superconductors. While high temperature superconductors have been made, they can only operate at -150o C. The breakthrough using ceramics as new materials has not been surpassed. The mention of using dynamite as a superconductor is considered nonsensical and no relevant information was found through a quick Google search.
Velociter
How far are we from Room Temp SCs? Have they been invented yet?
I hear you can use dynamite and that get's you close to room temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
"High temperature" superconductors have been made that can operate at a blazing hot -150o C. I think I heard about that before the turn of the millenium, and then the story just sort-of dropped out of sight. I'm assuming nothing much new has happened, or we'd be hearing about it. So whatever techs brought the temperature up to that new record must have dead-ended right about there.

IIRC, that breakthrough was achieved with new materials (ceramics, I believe). Mayeb -130 is as warm as these materials can get us, and new materials must be discovered/created before we can go any warmer.
Didn't really understand the comment about dynamite. You mean using dynamite as a superconductor, or blowing up a superconductor to get it up to room temperature, or what?

Well I want to know how you can use dynamite. Does it compress the molecules so the electrons don't have so far to jump?

Velociter said:
Well I want to know how you can use dynamite. Does it compress the molecules so the electrons don't have so far to jump?

A dynamite? To compress?

Where did you get the impetus for such a thing? And what does this have anything to do with superconductivity? Or are you asking something completely unrelated. If you are, please start another thread in another forum.

Zz.

No , I saw something on TV about using dynamite to make room temp superconductors. I'm asking does the explosion compress the metal therefore making the electrons flow easier?

Velociter said:
No , I saw something on TV about using dynamite to make room temp superconductors. I'm asking does the explosion compress the metal therefore making the electrons flow easier?

Unless you can make a more definite citation, I'd say this is nonsense. Not everything you watch on TV is accurate, or don't you know that already?

Zz.

Can you recall what show? Or some names of researchers or research faclitities?

A quick Google search on room temperatutre superconducters and dynamite yielded nothing relevant.

What is a room temperature superconductor?

A room temperature superconductor is a material that can conduct electricity with zero resistance at or near room temperature, unlike traditional superconductors which require extremely low temperatures to function.

How do room temperature superconductors work?

The exact mechanism of how room temperature superconductors work is still being researched and understood. However, it is believed that the absence of resistance is due to the pairing of electrons in a specific way, allowing them to flow without resistance.

What are the potential applications of room temperature superconductors?

If room temperature superconductors can be developed, it has the potential to revolutionize many industries such as energy production, transportation, and electronics. It could lead to more efficient and sustainable technologies.

What are the challenges in creating room temperature superconductors?

Currently, the main challenge in creating room temperature superconductors is finding the right material and structure that can maintain superconductivity at higher temperatures. It also requires a lot of energy and resources for research and development.

When can we expect room temperature superconductors to become a reality?

While there have been some promising developments in the field, it is difficult to predict when room temperature superconductors will become a reality. It could be in the near future or it could be several decades before we see practical applications of this technology.