Farewell to Our Dreamhouse: Losing Property Value to a Big Ass Highway

In summary, Cyrus and his parents are moving because a highway is being built in their backyard. They are upset because they can't justify losing money just because the house is nice.
Cyrus
They decided to build a big ass highway in my back yard and my property value is going to tank. Now we have to move out of our dreamhouse :mad:. My parents asked me if I wanted to say, but I told them its a nice house, but I can't justify loosing that much money just because I think its nice. The highway is going to be right in my back yard! I'm going to take pics of my backyard to show you all the woods, bike trail, deer and birds. It's such a lovely back yard and now its going to be a big ass highway! GRRRRRRR...

Were probably going to move into a small townhouse for about a year and put all our stuff in storage until we find a solution. The two options on the table right now is buy another house or get a small plot of land and build a new house.

If this were a few years ago I would really hate to move from here, but now that I'm older I just said eh, screw it. Save the money, the house is a house. We can always find another one. Once that value goes down well never ever see that money again.

This sucks because we have to move RIGHT AWAY, tomorrow would be ideal if possible, because once the road is built NO ONE is going to want to buy our house.

Bye bye house! :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
That sucks Cyrus, moving is the worst. I would hate to have to move from a house like that it sounds awesome. Stupid highways.

I wouldn't say it's so much the property value (if you plan to stay in a house, it doesn't really matter how much the market fluctuates around it), but it would really be awful to go from having nice, wooded land behind your house to having a noisy highway. That's one of the risks of living on the coasts. If you don't own the property, you can't expect anything green or wooded to stay that way long.

I would stay put and fight the highway tooth and nail, do the legal thing whilst secretly filling fuel tanks with sugar and moving their little marker posts just a tad.

This is reminicent of the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

Cyus=Arthur??

**** I better go find my towel then.

1. What is the cause of the decrease in property value due to the highway construction?

The construction of a big ass highway near a residential area can cause noise pollution, increased traffic, and reduced privacy, all of which can make the neighborhood less desirable to potential home buyers.

2. How does the decrease in property value affect homeowners?

The decrease in property value can have a significant financial impact on homeowners. It can lead to higher property taxes, difficulty in selling the property, and even foreclosure if the homeowners are unable to keep up with mortgage payments.

3. Can homeowners do anything to prevent the decrease in property value?

Homeowners can try to negotiate with the government or construction company to mitigate the impact of the highway, such as requesting for noise barriers or soundproofing. They can also try to sell their property before the construction begins.

4. What steps can be taken to minimize the effects of the highway on property value?

The best way to minimize the effects of the highway on property value is by investing in upgrades and renovations to make the property more appealing to potential buyers. This can include adding soundproofing, landscaping, and improving the overall curb appeal of the property.

5. Is there any compensation available for homeowners whose property value has decreased due to the highway construction?

In some cases, homeowners may be eligible for compensation from the government or construction company. This typically involves filing a claim and providing evidence of the decrease in property value. However, this process can be lengthy and may not always result in compensation.