Oscillation problem. Please help me I'm stupid

In summary, an oscillation problem refers to a system or object that continuously moves back and forth in a regular pattern. These problems can be caused by external forces, energy changes, or disturbances and can be solved by adjusting system parameters, reducing external forces, or finding ways to dampen the oscillations. Real-life examples include pendulums, car suspension systems, and guitar strings. Studying oscillation problems is significant in fields such as mechanics, physics, and electronics, as it helps us understand and improve the stability and performance of systems.
superpig10000
A particle of mass m is moving under the ocmbined action of the forces -kx, a damping force -2mb (dx/dt) and a driving force Ft. Express the solutions in terms of intial position x(t=0) and the initial velocity of the particle.

For the complementary solution, use x(t) = e^(-bt) A sin (w1t + theta)
And the for the particular solution, use Ct + D

w1^2 = w0^2 - b^2 w0^2 = k/m

Here's what I have so far:
m (dx^2/dt^2) + 2mb (dx/dt) + kx = Ft

(dx^2/dt^2) + 2b (dx/dt) + w0^2 x = At (A = F/m)
The complementary solution is x = e^(-bt) (A1e^(w1t) + A2e^-(w1t). I don't know how to convert this to the form above. And I am totally clueless as to how to find the particular solution.

Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your work so far. I can definitely help you with finding the particular solution for this problem.

First, let's review the steps for finding the particular solution for a second order differential equation:

1. Determine the form of the particular solution based on the forcing term (Ft in this case). In this case, since the forcing term is a constant (Ft), the particular solution will be in the form of Ct + D.

2. Substitute the particular solution form into the original differential equation and solve for the constants C and D. In this case, we have:

m (d^2x/dt^2) + 2mb (dx/dt) + kx = Ft

Substituting Ct + D for x, we get:

m (d^2/dt^2)(Ct + D) + 2mb (d/dt)(Ct + D) + k(Ct + D) = Ft

Simplifying this, we get:

mC + 2mbC + kC = Ft

Solving for C, we get:

C = Ft / (m + 2mb + k)

Now, let's solve for D. We know that the initial position of the particle (x(t=0)) is given by x(0) = D. Therefore, D = x(0).

3. Putting everything together, the particular solution is:

x(t) = (Ft / (m + 2mb + k))t + x(0)

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps.

1. What is an oscillation problem?

An oscillation problem refers to a situation where a system or object continuously moves back and forth or up and down in a regular, repeating pattern.

2. What causes oscillation problems?

Oscillation problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external forces, internal energy changes, or disturbances in the system.

3. How can oscillation problems be solved?

The solution to an oscillation problem depends on the specific circumstances and factors causing it. It may involve adjusting the system's parameters, reducing external forces, or finding a way to dampen the oscillations.

4. What are some real-life examples of oscillation problems?

Examples of oscillation problems can be found in many systems, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth, a car's suspension system absorbing bumps on a road, or the vibration of a guitar string when plucked.

5. Is there any significance to studying oscillation problems?

Yes, understanding oscillation problems is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and electronics. It helps us analyze and predict the behavior of systems and find ways to improve their stability and performance.