Help! Troubles with Tracking Cookie & Spyware Pest

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tracking
In summary, the conversation is about a troublesome "tracking cookie" spyware pest that has been causing difficulties for the speakers. One of them suggests using "Ad Aware SE Personal" from Lavasoft, which is a free program that can help with such issues. The other speaker thanks them for the link and mentions experiencing trouble with accessing certain websites due to the spyware.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Anyone been having more trouble with this "tracking cookie," spyware pest, lately? Been losing about a Google a day for the last week courtesy of the damned thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dern't think the "monkey with a sledgehammer" let it on --- thanks for the link. Last night I go to http://www.radiocarbon.org/Info/ , and try to open links to U.S. labs, get "page cannot be displayed," plus a TF link that hangs the cursor, keyboard, and everything else --- today, fine.

1. What are tracking cookies and spyware pests?

Tracking cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites you visit. They are used to track your online activity and gather information about your browsing habits. Spyware pests are malicious programs that are designed to collect personal information from your computer without your consent.

2. How do tracking cookies and spyware pests get onto my computer?

Tracking cookies are typically placed on your computer when you visit a website that uses them. You can also inadvertently download them by clicking on a pop-up ad or downloading a file from an untrustworthy source. Spyware pests can be installed through email attachments, software downloads, or by exploiting vulnerabilities in your operating system.

3. What are the potential risks of tracking cookies and spyware pests?

Tracking cookies can track your browsing activity and gather personal information, such as your online shopping habits, login credentials, and even credit card information. Spyware pests can do even more damage by logging your keystrokes, stealing sensitive information, and slowing down your computer's performance.

4. How can I prevent tracking cookies and spyware pests?

To prevent tracking cookies, you can adjust your browser settings to block third-party cookies and regularly clear your cookies and browsing history. To prevent spyware pests, you should always be cautious when downloading files or clicking on links from unknown sources. It's also important to have reputable antivirus software installed and regularly update your operating system and other software.

5. How can I remove tracking cookies and spyware pests from my computer?

To remove tracking cookies, you can clear your browser's cookies and history or use a specialized anti-tracking cookie software. Removing spyware pests can be more complicated, and it's recommended to use reputable antivirus software or seek professional help to ensure all traces of the pest are completely removed from your computer.