Momentum/Impulse Graph Finding Velocity

In summary, the graph shows a 0.125 kg ball with an initial momentum of 1.5 kg m/s being acted on by an impulse. The graph has force on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, with a square wave pattern. To find the ball's speed at 4 seconds, the impulse formula and finding the area under the curve can be used. However, it seems that this method did not provide the correct answer.
duke1
Momentum/Impulse Graph...Finding Velocity

A 0.125 kg ball, moving in the positive direction at 12 m/s, is acted on by the impulse shown in the graph in Figure 9-16 What is the ball's speed at 4.0 s?

If the picture doesn't load as an attachment I'll have to try it again.

Okay so I'm not sure where to start when lookin at this graph. I think I start with finding the original momentum which is 1.5. The main problem is reading the graph. Again with this one I'm just stuck with how to read the graph.

bp

Attachments

• 9-16.gif
    9-16.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 611
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone point me in the right direction?

duke1 said:
Can someone point me in the right direction?

The graph does not load. Try again.

ehild

It says they are pending approval.

Is it a velocity-time graph?

Nope there is Force in the Y and Time in the X

On the Y there are 3 tick marks in this order top to bottom 2 0 -2.
On the X there are the numbers 1-4 (time in seconds).

From 0-1 in the X it follows the 0 on the Y, from 2-3 there is an impulse that goes up to the 2 (Coordinate 2,2) in the Y then from 3-4 it remains on 0 force. Probably nm help but not sure what else to do like getting it approved or w/e.

Does anyone know how to get the image approved?

So it looks like a square wave, right? 0, then 2, then 0? Do you know the impulse formula? If you do, you have all but 1 variable.

triangle wave and the point is between 1-3 on top of the 2 in the X...ive tried that but it doesn't give me the answer.

i can find initial momentum but how do i find speed at 4 seconds?

Impulse is the change in momentum. Find the area under the curve and add that to the initial momentum

that didnt do it

1. What is a momentum/impulse graph and how is it used to find velocity?

A momentum/impulse graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between momentum and time. It is used to find velocity by calculating the area under the graph, which represents the impulse (change in momentum) of an object. This impulse can then be used to calculate the velocity of the object using the equation: velocity = impulse/mass.

2. What are the units used in a momentum/impulse graph?

The units used in a momentum/impulse graph are typically kilograms (kg) for mass, seconds (s) for time, and kilograms-meters per second (kg·m/s) for momentum. However, the units may vary depending on the specific situation and the units used to measure mass and time.

3. How does the slope of a momentum/impulse graph relate to the force acting on an object?

The slope of a momentum/impulse graph represents the rate of change of momentum, which is equal to the force acting on an object. This means that the steeper the slope of the graph, the greater the force acting on the object.

4. Can a momentum/impulse graph be used to find velocity for an object with changing mass?

Yes, a momentum/impulse graph can still be used to find velocity for an object with changing mass. In this case, the mass would need to be represented as a function of time on the graph, and the area under the curve would need to be calculated using calculus.

5. How does the principle of conservation of momentum apply to a momentum/impulse graph?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a momentum/impulse graph, the area under the graph before and after an interaction between objects should be equal, as the total momentum before and after the interaction should be the same.