Optimizing Suitcase Handle Design: Rigid vs. Swinging

• Thread starter nickcc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the two types of suitcase handles and their ergonomic differences. The first type is rigidly attached to the case, while the second type allows for side-to-side movement. The question is which design is better ergonomically, and the suggestion is to do a risk assessment to determine the best option. The person also shares their experience with the second type of handle being potentially irritating.
nickcc
Apologies is this question is inappropriate for this forum - but here is the question anyway.

There are two kinds of suitcase handle - those that are rigidly fixed to the body of the case and do not move in any axis. Then there are those which are attached in such a way that the case can swing from side to side when carried.

My question is which is ergonomically better?

My experience is that the second type can be irritating because the case sometimes swings into my legs - which can't happen with the fixed type of handle.

Any comment or thoughts would be gratefully received.

Nick

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do an ergonomic risk assessment on both designs, and select the one with the lower score.

If I were designing the thing, it would be rigid side-to-side, but pivot parallel to leg motion.

1. What is the purpose of ergonomic suitcase handles?

Ergonomic suitcase handles are designed to provide maximum comfort and ease of use when carrying a suitcase. They are specifically designed to reduce strain on the hands, wrists, and arms, making it easier to transport luggage.

2. How do ergonomic suitcase handles differ from traditional handles?

Ergonomic suitcase handles are typically designed with a curved or contoured shape, as opposed to a straight handle. This allows for a more natural grip and reduces strain on the hands and wrists. They may also have additional padding or cushioning for added comfort.

3. Can ergonomic suitcase handles prevent injuries?

While ergonomic suitcase handles can help reduce strain and discomfort, they cannot guarantee prevention of injuries. It is still important to lift and carry luggage properly to avoid any potential injuries.

4. Are there different types of ergonomic suitcase handles?

Yes, there are various types of ergonomic suitcase handles such as telescopic, fixed, and rotating handles. Telescopic handles are adjustable in height, fixed handles are stationary, and rotating handles can rotate to different angles for a more comfortable grip.

5. How do I choose the right ergonomic suitcase handle for me?

Choosing the right ergonomic suitcase handle depends on personal preference and needs. It is important to consider the weight and size of your luggage, as well as your own physical abilities and comfort level. You may also want to try out different handles and see which one feels most comfortable for you.