Increase Messaging Window for Easier Editing

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the people who would benefit from a larger messaging window are those who use an off-line editor, because the web-based interface is not full-featured enough to use an editor off-line. Those who don't use an editor might not mind the small icons. Those who use Firefox might want to try the newest version because it underlines misspelled words with a row of fine red dots.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I would like to see a larger messaging window. It would allow me to do more editing and checking before submitting, which would save me submitting and then editting my mistakes over and over (which would lessen demand on database access). I just don't take advantage of the Preview function.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I would like to see a larger messaging window. It would allow me to do more editing and checking before submitting, which would save me submitting and then editting my mistakes over and over (which would lessen demand on database access). I just don't take advantage of the Preview function.

I have the same problem. I learned to deal with it though.

I've also never used the preview function. A lot of times, I just do a quick reply.

Either use notepad, wordpad, or click the "Go Advanced" button. What's the problem? Wordpad has an added bonus as well, you won't need to worry about typos, such as 'editting'. :wink:

I don't see why the messaging window can't be larger.
Are these side margins surrounding the window necessary?

Concerning using off-line editors... I would only use it if I need some special feature of the editor [like spell-check or column-editing or search-replace]. For me, it would be best if the web-based interface was full-featured enough not to use an off-line editor. [How many folks write email in another editor, then paste it into the email-client's editor?]

I like the preview function... I'd like it better if [tex]\LaTeX[/tex]-in-the-preview was working again. :grumpy:

There, I increased width by 22px :smile:

btw, there are two up arrows and down arrows to increase message window height next to the abc spell check icon in the upper right

Greg Bernhardt said:
btw, there are two up arrows and down arrows to increase message window height next to the abc spell check icon in the upper right

Ooh, something else I never noticed before. Of course, the vBulletin developers and I think in opposite directions...I clicked the UP arrows to increase the size, and instead, the bottom of the message window moved up to make it smaller. :rolleyes: :rofl:

I never noticed those tiny icons over there on the right. They look like little fast forward / rewind buttons, not larger/smaller icons.

I've attached some modified icons if you wanted to use them.

Attachments

• resize_0.gif
    resize_0.gif
    74 bytes · Views: 411
  • resize_1.gif
    resize_1.gif
    75 bytes · Views: 465
Those who might prefer real-time spell-checking might want to try the newest version of Firefox. It underlines misspelled words with a row of fine red dots as soon as you space or punctuate after a word. If you click on the word, you'll be presented with a list of options, and you can choose to add the word to the dictionary if you know it's spelled correctly.

What is the purpose of increasing the messaging window for easier editing?

The purpose of increasing the messaging window is to provide a larger space for users to compose and edit their messages, making it easier to review and make changes before sending.

How will increasing the messaging window benefit users?

Increasing the messaging window will benefit users by reducing the need for scrolling and allowing them to see more of their message at once, making it easier to catch any errors or make revisions.

Will increasing the messaging window affect the overall performance of the messaging system?

No, increasing the messaging window should not affect the overall performance of the messaging system. It is simply a visual adjustment and should not impact the functionality of the system.

Is increasing the messaging window a complex process?

No, increasing the messaging window can be a relatively simple process. It may involve adjusting the layout of the messaging interface or increasing the character limit for messages.

Are there any potential drawbacks to increasing the messaging window?

One potential drawback could be that a larger messaging window may take up more space on the screen, making it difficult for users with smaller screens to view other parts of the messaging interface. Another drawback could be that longer messages may take longer to load, depending on the messaging system's capabilities.