Best book to learn some maths methods?

• Thread starter aeroboyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the speaker is an engineering student who wants to transfer into physics and is looking for a book that will teach them math in a way that is suitable for a theoretical physics degree. They are aware of "Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences" by Boas, but are unsure if it is the best option for them. They also ask for recommendations on books that focus on proofs and theories behind the math, and mention a helpful website for learning math.
aeroboyo
hello,

I'd like to learn some basic math methods from linear algebra to multivariable calculus. At the moment I'm at a pre-linear algebra level, I've had one semester of calculus. I'm aware of 'Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences' by Boas, but i have some reservations.

I want to learn maths 'correctly' for my intentions. By that i mean, i'd like to learn it so that i could commence on a theoretical physics degree. I get the impression that there are two basic types of maths books, those that are more for engineers (with no proofs and they just want you to apply formulas) and others which might be more inclined towards mathematicians in that they explain proofs and theories behind the maths. Which kind of book should a PHYSICS student benefit most from? Which leads to the question, is 'Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences' by Boas suitable for the aspiring physicist (does it contain proofs and theory behind the maths) or is it best suited for the aspiring engineer (does it just teach the student how to apply formulas to solve problems?).

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is a good site:

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~wchen/ln.html

courtrigrad said:
Here is a good site:

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~wchen/ln.html

Great site, courtrigrad. Btw, you may want to post it in the tutorial section if it's not already there.

aeroboyo said:
I want to learn maths 'correctly' for my intentions.

I thought you were an engineering student?

There's nothing incorrect about learning how to calculate, as much as some of the math students here may disdain that. The first couple of years of a math education in the sciences at the college level typically concentrate on calculation. Later you might want to take a course that concentrates on proofs. Topology is usually good for that.

i am an engineering student... but i will be transfering into physics next year!

1. What are the best books to learn some math methods?

Some popular books for learning math methods include "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K. F. Riley, "Introduction to Mathematical Thinking" by Keith Devlin, and "How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method" by George Polya.

2. What topics are covered in these books?

These books cover a wide range of topics such as calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and probability and statistics. They also provide an introduction to mathematical thinking and problem-solving strategies.

3. Are these books suitable for beginners?

Yes, these books are suitable for beginners who have a basic understanding of math concepts such as algebra and geometry. They are also useful for advanced learners who want to deepen their understanding of mathematical methods.

4. Do these books come with practice problems and solutions?

Yes, these books include practice problems and solutions to help readers apply the concepts they have learned. Some books also have additional online resources for practice and further learning.

5. Can these books be used for self-study?

Yes, these books are great for self-study as they provide clear explanations, examples, and practice problems. However, it is recommended to seek additional resources or guidance from a teacher or tutor if needed.